A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

Don’t forget room reflection

DM where are your recordings and images?. It would be good to compare and, as you are a damping advocate, a detailed look at how you damp your panels would help everyone as you say we keep on getting it wrong.

DML's are less susceptible to room reflections then conventional cone speakers because there sound is less directional and more diffused.

I don't have the cable to connect my phone to computer and I am not in a rush to go out and spend money on one. Also like I said before I don't know the quality of the mic on my phone because its a older phone so if the quality isn't there then the recording will be irrelevant.

Like I said before I will let anyone hear my panels but I wont show or tell anyone exactly how I built them as I might want to patent and or sell my design in the future. I will give you hints and tips along the way to steer anyone in the right direction.

I have given a lot of hints and tips in the past but it seems like no one is following them instead people rather follow Tech ingredients advice. lol

I gave yawl advice on how to properly mount panel to frame with my sandwich technique but no one is following it. I told yawl that a frame is needed to act as a wave guide. I stressed why a spine/brace is needed and not many use it. I stress damping and many disregard damping. I even said that using damping underneath your panels (stands) like yoga mats or isolation platforms like Auralex will help and no one listens. lol

I gave yawl the list of best performing panels in order yet people are still stuck on deciding which material they are going to use. Honeycomb composites with skin followed by High density EPS. I told yawl the thicknesess should be between 1/4-1/2 inch (5-10mm) with H.C. and EPS and even thinner with wood 1/16 inch. or thinner (1-3mm)

I explained what are the ideal characteristics for a good panel which is Density X weight X flexibility=High resistance, very light and easily bendable. The two materials that meet three criteria are H.C. and High density EPS.

Like I stressed before its ones DESIGN that will determine how a panel sounds.

If yawl go back and reread what I wrote in my past post you might get the hint or idea. Some techniques I've learned from other proven designs like Bertagni's , Podiums, and some I've learned on my own from the past 5 years from trial and error is how I've gained experience.

Although I am really satisfied with the performance of my panels design there is always room for improvement as I am still experimenting and learning something new from these DML panels as there potential is very huge.

Did Burnt Coil say the recording is an accurate representation of his panels? It could be the microphone creating a tin can sound.

Where did he say that?

I doubt its the mic. Anyone with a lot of experience with these panels know how they sound like without any dampening as that is the average DML sound signature to have that hollow can like sound.

Burnts framed and damped version from his first clips sounded much better then his second clips without damping.

Where did he say that?

I doubt its the mic. Anyone with a lot of experience with these panels know how they sound like without any dampening as that is the average DML sound signature to have that hollow can like sound.

Burnts framed and damped version from his first clips sounded much better then his second clips without damping.
I'm not sure you have much to offer here. Lots of opinion but no evidence and an admission now that you want to keep secrets because they may be of commercial value to you. Yet you are gaining from what others are sharing. Your admission may even cause others to not share, which would be a shame. Please join in the spirit of the forum, it is Diy and sharing.

I'm not sure you have much to offer here. Lots of opinion but no evidence and an admission now that you want to keep secrets because they may be of commercial value to you. Yet you are gaining from what others are sharing. Your admission may even cause others to not share, which would be a shame. Please join in the spirit of the forum, it is Diy and sharing.

Really? All the info I gave during the past 5 years offered nothing? I guess that is your opinion. I believe Ive offered more info. on this topic then anyone else. Wether or not you want to follow my advice is up to you as no one can force anyone to do anything.

So everyone elses opinions is backed up by evidence? If you read all those articles most of it backs up my opinions more so then not.

Gaining from others? And causing others to not share, WTF??? Maybe you are the only one with this problem you think I didn't notice it? Sounds like jealousy or whatevers. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I contributed WAY more then my fair share. The only thing I may have gained is the 12inch width panels other then that I've done it all on my own. I don't wait for someone ELSE to do all the DIRTY WORK as I DO THE DEW, I don't just sit around and talk the talk I WALK THE WALK BRO.

Do you speak for everyone are you the official DML spokesperson? :confused:

Miss me with that "spirit" nonsense no one owes anybody NOTHING. Entitled much?

Whats next are you going to complain to a mod about my aggressive style of writing? :eek::eek:

If you don't start none there wont be none son.

Last edited:
frequency response of my panels

Here is the REW measurement of my panel it is near field ~1 meter in front of the panel and input set to 65dB I have done some DSP to achieve a "flat response" I will have to get back on what the frequency setting are since it is a home brew DSP using a TI DSP chip...

The spectrograph is not the current experiment of just one tone as it is the sweep frequency measurement. The sweep frequency measurement is showing a pretty uniform sound field emitting from the surface and then start to see the reflective effects of the surrounding.
Cheers,
Steve

Attachments

• Outside DML Freq Response.jpeg
    Outside DML Freq Response.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 418
  • Spectrograph of panel.jpeg
    Spectrograph of panel.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 417
I just recorded with the Dayton mic. Recordings have the same tin can sound BurntCoil had. Not at all what the speaker actually sounds like in person.

What type of speakers?

Volume level is too low.

The only way to truly hear a speaker is IN PERSON.

Better the recording the better it will sound but no recording of the speakers playing will beat hearing it live in person.

Really? All the info I gave during the past 5 years offered nothing? I guess that is your opinion. I believe Ive offered more info. on this topic then anyone else. Wether or not you want to follow my advice is up to you as no one can force anyone to do anything.

So everyone elses opinions is backed up by evidence? If you read all those articles most of it backs up my opinions more so then not.

Gaining from others? And causing others to not share, WTF??? Maybe you are the only one with this problem you think I didn't notice it? Sounds like jealousy or whatevers. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I contributed WAY more then my fair share. The only thing I may have gained is the 12inch width panels other then that I've done it all on my own. I don't wait for someone ELSE to do all the DIRTY WORK as I DO THE DEW, I don't just sit around and talk the talk I WALK THE WALK BRO.

Do you speak for everyone are you the official DML spokesperson? :confused:

Miss me with that "spirit" nonsense no one owes anybody NOTHING. Entitled much?

Whats next are you going to complain to a mod about my aggressive style of writing? :eek::eek:

If you don't start none there wont be none son.
Oh you da man.

Morning all!

Well that all took off in a spectacular fashion.

For the avoidance of doubt, the speakers sound much better than the recordings

DM you have certainly contributed to the forum.

However, you should have made your commercial objective clear at all times, not only is it not fair on the other contributors you leave yourself open to claims of prior art voiding any patent claim you make in the future and may leave yourself open to civil proceedings. I speak as someone with thrifty years experience on patenting innovation. Still, it’s far too late for that now, you have provided enough evidence via this forum that you have not acted in good faith regarding IP. You should have talked to a patent attorney.

What you should have done is patent first then, as a very famous and commercially successful contributor in the amplifier section of the forum has done, declared at the outset that you are sharing your expertise explicitly for DIY activity and not for commercial use.

Vitriol never has a place in these forums and I suspect you may have broken the site guidelines.

I believe the maxim ‘ extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof’ never grows old.

It’s time to share how you gain your extraordinary results.

I suggest we take this off line as it is not fair to the other contributors.

Burnt

P.S. smartphones don’t need a lead to transfer data.

Last edited:
I appreciate a great deal those that have defended my contributions, thank you.
Please can I ask that you do not pursue this further with DMLBES as it will distract from what has been a very interesting and successful thread. I will ask DMLBES to reply by PM, I will be opening up that communication path later on today, so we can clear the air should he also wish to do so. Thank you again

Burnt

I think phone mics might go a lot of the way to influencing the sound of Burnt's recordings. I've heard the same 'phase-y' sound here when recording on my phone(s). Hey, if phones were that good at recording audio, there'd be no need for recording studios, would there. Camera mics aren't that much better.

Wooh, I just wrote this reply not having read the past two pages of dialogue. I will go back and absorb, but still say most phone mics are S..t.

Last edited:
Morning all!

Well that all took off in a spectacular fashion.

For the avoidance of doubt, the speakers sound much better than the recordings

DM you have certainly contributed to the forum.

However, you should have made your commercial objective clear at all times, not only is it not fair on the other contributors you leave yourself open to claims of prior art voiding any patent claim you make in the future and may leave yourself open to civil proceedings. I speak as someone with thrifty years experience on patenting innovation. Still, it’s far too late for that now, you have provided enough evidence via this forum that you have not acted in good faith regarding IP. You should have talked to a patent attorney.

What you should have done is patent first then, as a very famous and commercially successful contributor in the amplifier section of the forum has done, declared at the outset that you are sharing your expertise explicitly for DIY activity and not for commercial use.

Vitriol never has a place in these forums and I suspect you may have broken the site guidelines.

I believe the maxim ‘ extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof’ never grows old.

It’s time to share how you gain your extraordinary results.

I suggest we take this off line as it is not fair to the other contributors.

Burnt

P.S. smartphones don’t need a lead to transfer data.

WTF is all this nonsense???? Why are you telling me what I should and shouldn't do who are you to tell me that? I don't have to tell no one my objective. Holy **** are you saying I cant post here anymore? Are you going to oust me from the DML club??? SMDH LMAO You been into DML's less then a year and now you are the Holy Guru expert? come on man. LMAO

It seems yawl butt hurt because I aint telling yawl all my secerets eyyy so ya trying to force me to tell it or you will tell everyone not to reply to me is so fricken childish. LMAO

I said I might do it in the future it could be 20 years from now or never. SMDH

WTF is wrong with you people? Screw PM's let every one see for themselves and talk right here?

P.S. I don't have a smart phone. My phone is 10 years old or older. I am not into all that ******** tweets face book crap. I am from the old school of hard knocks.

I will keep posting what I want to post until I get banned. If you or anyone don't like it TUFF shiznit its you're problem

Last edited:
I just recorded with the Dayton mic. Recordings have the same tin can sound BurntCoil had. Not at all what the speaker actually sounds like in person.

Yes that sounds familiar.

Room, microphone, encoding, and the playback device ie. headphones are all additional to the sound of the speakers. As Gapmedia pointed out, there is a reason we use recording studios

Last edited:
Ok, getting back to "the study of dml's ..." on the subject of damping.
Two beginner damping techniques is the water/glue mixture and or paint. For wood though I wouldn't use the water/glue mixture instead I would use Latex acrylic paint.
I did not realise that the water and glue treatment on EPS/XPS panels is actually a damping skin. I was under the impression it was a hard layer that improved high frequency propagation. Anyhow, the application of a thin latex film (Latex acrylic paint) seems very interesting since I have not read about any plywood treatment for damping purposes, other than varnish or paint for the looks. So, DMLBES's panels are damped along the edges (lightly clamped or sandwiched between foam strips), as well as a damping layer over the entire surface. It makes me think of OffGridKindaGuy's canvas framed panels - I am sure that the canvas and glue sort of dampens the plywood discs that he uses?

I am thinking of using Latex tubing along the panel edges i.s.o. foam strips for supporting and damping the panel, but still have to figure out how to glue everything together. I think the latex will provide more movement than the foam. In fact, I think one can use latex tubing all along the edges for damping, as there are various sizes and thicknesses available. Just cut a slit along the tube and slide it over the panel edge.

Still waiting for my exciters from Billionsound. The Wuhan virus situation is not helping things coming from China.

It’s all kicking off here eh!

Amazing how many Threads go like this.
Folks are so easily triggered by things they don’t agree with these days. Not just here but on the street, at meetings, at rallies and demonstrations, at university campuses, on social media etc, etc
One is increasingly not allowed to have a contrary opinion about anything outside the accepted norm or accepted narrative. This is extraordinary really as it stifles intelligent discourse and debate.
It’s a sign of the times in which we live.