Go Back   Home > Forums > >

A Study of DML's as a Full Range Speaker
A Study of DML's as a Full Range Speaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 26th September 2021, 03:37 PM   #3851
lordtarquin is offline lordtarquin  England
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East Staffordshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedge View Post
Carlmart.
I see that there are quite a few variants on this exciter range.

AIYIMA 2pcs Audio Speakers 35/44mm Plane Vibration Speaker Resonance Speaker 15W 4 ohms DIY For Home Theater|4 ohm|speaker resonancevibration speaker - AliExpress

20mm coil 4ohm 15watt free shipping.
Looks like a smaller thinner magnet than my exciter ? 15mm deep and only weighs 60g.
Steve.
I'm currently trying out these: 2pcs 1.7" 44MM 4Ω/8Ω 15W~20W Vibration Speaker Resonance Loudspeaker Audio Parts | eBay

15w 4ohm jobs.

So far, these are giving me the best performance of the exciters I've tried. At around 12 a pair, I can afford to experiment.

And hereby hangs a question. When mounted on my 600mm high OB bass L frames, the overall height is a bit on the low side. So this got me thinking. 2 x 300x400 panels in landscape orientation, one above the other with the 4 ohm exciters wired in series may result in some mutual coupling benefits in the midrange. My understanding is that mutual coupling tends to benefit the bass more than the treble, but there could still be some benefits from having double the power handling per side. Obviously 8 ohm exciters wired in parallel would give more welly potential.

Anyway, back to my canvas panels with ply insert. Here is a plot showing the bass unit with 24db LR low pass filter, 300x400mm canvas panel (6 exciter) in landscape orientation with 24db LR high pass filter plus the combined response. Not too shabby at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L canvas panel and bass driver and combined plots.jpg (191.2 KB, 154 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2021, 07:10 PM   #3852
carlmart is offline carlmart  Brazil
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapvega View Post
I am loving the Aiyimas.... I am running 2 per panel and they sound amazing. I have 8 more on the way for another set of panels and some experimentation.
Which are the models you bought?

This week I bought 4 of these ones:

AIYIMA Audio Portable Speakers 25W/20W 4 Ohm/8 Ohm 44/50MM Full Range Vibration Speaker Altavoz Portatil Resonance Bass Speaker|vibration speaker|portable speakerbass speaker - AliExpress
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2021, 07:14 PM   #3853
carlmart is offline carlmart  Brazil
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtarquin View Post
I'm currently trying out these: 2pcs 1.7" 44MM 4Ω/8Ω 15W~20W Vibration Speaker Resonance Loudspeaker Audio Parts | eBay

15w 4ohm jobs.

So far, these are giving me the best performance of the exciters I've tried. At around 12 a pair, I can afford to experiment.

And hereby hangs a question. When mounted on my 600mm high OB bass L frames, the overall height is a bit on the low side. So this got me thinking. 2 x 300x400 panels in landscape orientation, one above the other with the 4 ohm exciters wired in series may result in some mutual coupling benefits in the midrange. My understanding is that mutual coupling tends to benefit the bass more than the treble, but there could still be some benefits from having double the power handling per side. Obviously 8 ohm exciters wired in parallel would give more welly potential.

Anyway, back to my canvas panels with ply insert. Here is a plot showing the bass unit with 24db LR low pass filter, 300x400mm canvas panel (6 exciter) in landscape orientation with 24db LR high pass filter plus the combined response. Not too shabby at all.
Are we talking passive or active crossovers? At that 24dB rate there should be phase issues.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2021, 07:17 PM   #3854
cheapvega is offline cheapvega  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
I got the 50mm 8ohms and run 2 in parallel. They needed EQ above 10k but we're surprisingly flat from 300 to 10k
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 12:26 AM   #3855
spedge is offline spedge  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
Spedge I believe I had about 50 of the exciters you have bought from parts express on a buyout 2009? about 2 for $5.00 back when we were all playing with 8 or more on a panel. The new ones don't have a plastic ring as pictured. They come with a thin aluminum disc instead covering voice coil area making for a good bond to the panel. Only negative is the terminals are flimsy and weak. I have 10 watt 8ohm. Not sure if 4 ohm is the same re no plastic ring. 1 drives a ply panel just fine.
It's hard to believe that I joined the nxt rubbish forum in 2009 with my 10watt buyout exiters.
Time just goes flying by.
Although I only bought 40 of the exciters I'm glad I did as it has helped me compare different panel types, which is very handy.
I'm still amazed at the amount of detail that these little exciters can get out of a panel.

Steve.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 08:59 AM   #3856
lordtarquin is offline lordtarquin  England
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East Staffordshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
Are we talking passive or active crossovers? At that 24dB rate there should be phase issues.
Calmart

I use active crossovers - a miniDSP HD. An LR24 XO is in-phase. I use the miniDSP for EQ too. The amp setup is a pair of TPA3255 modules, one per side. Each side is split between bass & DML. So it's a true 'dual monobloc' type setup.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 12:44 PM   #3857
carlmart is offline carlmart  Brazil
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Brazil
Well, I was a bit disappointed realizing that it seems all the measurements I have seen on this topic were corrected with active equalizing.

I did say that I was looking for non-equalized board/resonator combo, first because I do not believe in correcting equalizing, and second because of where those systems would be used. Apparently that demand of mine was not noticed.

3rd or 4th order eq is the most I accept, and never to correct response, particularly on a speaker.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 03:32 PM   #3858
spedge is offline spedge  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Carlmart.
I never use eq ?
3rd or 4th order eq ? Do you mean crossover.
I usually allow the panels to go as low as possible depending on the panel but no lower than about 80hz.
But practically always I roll off the bass unit above 300hz to help sort out room problems (suckouts )
With The art ply panel,I would treat it as a fullrange speaker and put a sharp roll off below 40hz to prevent any large unecessary movement as the response of the panel drops like a stone below this.
Rolling off the art ply panel higher up would increase the power handling and benefit from a dedicated sub.
Steve.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 04:08 PM   #3859
spedge is offline spedge  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Lordtarquins post 3836 shows 2 plots the one on the left is without eq ,which is a pretty decent response.
I probably wouldn't bother to eq this.
But if I did I would probably just put in a little slope from abut 500hz to about 3.5k , this would keep the response almost within a 5db band up to about 18k .
A room response curve (or is it called a house curve?)would be more than this.
But it would be nice to see the full range response of the panel to its lowest frequency if possible.
Without eq that is.
Steve.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 05:39 PM   #3860
carlmart is offline carlmart  Brazil
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedge View Post
Carlmart.
I never use eq ?
To flatten a curve, or increase/decrease treble or bass.

Quote:
3rd or 4th order eq ? Do you mean crossover.
Yes, that means crossover.

Quote:
I usually allow the panels to go as low as possible depending on the panel but no lower than about 80hz
But practically always I roll off the bass unit above 300hz to help sort out room problems (suckouts )
That is fine, and it was what I was prepared to live with, adding a sub below 300Hz.

But I do not intend to increase response above 9/10KHz with active eq.

The curves I had seen, your and others, reached 20KHz +/-3dB and reasonably flat. So I started wondering if that got help from active eq.

Quote:
With The art ply panel,I would treat it as a fullrange speaker and put a sharp roll off below 40hz to prevent any large unecessary movement as the response of the panel drops like a stone below this.
Rolling off the art ply panel higher up would increase the power handling and benefit from a dedicated sub.
Steve.
Yes, the idea was to have a full range speaker from 300-20KHz with no external help. The dedicated sub would take care of the low problematic areas.

Last edited by carlmart; 27th September 2021 at 05:42 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


A Study of DML's as a Full Range SpeakerHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full Range Voice Range single speaker and enclosure loninappleton Full Range 23 8th May 2014 11:14 PM
Proposal for a full range speaker radio Full Range 20 23rd April 2014 05:03 PM
Design Study: Full Range Line Array Dumbledog Multi-Way 5 27th October 2013 12:45 PM
Full range speaker package. perceptionchanges Swap Meet 1 15th July 2013 03:08 AM
Full range active speaker zebra100 Full Range 10 24th August 2009 11:28 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:19 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 13.64%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2021 diyAudio
Wiki