Go Back   Home > Forums > >

A Study of DML's as a Full Range Speaker
A Study of DML's as a Full Range Speaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2021, 05:15 PM   #3421
spedge is offline spedge  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Hans Theesink.

a very quick recording of the eps panel on the left and the canvas panel on the right.
i just guessed at the 200hz xo for the panels and sub and also the levels so i hope there is not to much bass?
i also should in future restrict the recordings to 4mins so i can use the 256kb as the sound is so much better, but as i said this was a very quick recording.
you tend to loose a lot of detail and ambience .
hope it still sounds ok.
steve.
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 Mississippi Eps+canvas128mp4.mp4 (5.53 MB, 27 views)
Old 2nd August 2021, 05:41 PM   #3422
diyAudio Member

andreas.
it probably depends on how you would define a quality amplifier ?
now days if an amplifier sounds very good to me , then thats good enough for me.
over the years i have heard some pretty bad sounding amps, and most were given rave reviews by the hifi press.
i even paid money for them
i was an early convert to the lowly digital amps and could not understand why they got such bad press, maybe i was just lucky in my choices ?
i have built a few amps in the past such as the JLH 10watt CLass A,which i realy liked, but the heat
the price of cheap good sounding digital amps including the higher end HYPEX(quality )amps, made it a pointless task building them as i could not buy a transformer for that price
so what is a quality amplifier now days ?
steve.
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:51 PM   #3423
diyAudio Member

Default running water

i was looking through my cds to play on these panels and i was reminded that even in my early days of dml using corrugated cardboard,that the sound of running water used to sound so realistic .
natural sounds come across so naturally , you could almost reach out and touch the water.
hopefully this recording will show this .
most speakers will make a sound that will sound like frying bacon.
steve.
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 Running Water 256mp4.mp4 (7.63 MB, 27 views)
Old 4th August 2021, 10:40 PM   #3424
diyAudio Member

Default Naked canvas panel

I was looking at the canvas art panel last night and realised that with all the cracks in it that it was not rigid at all in fact it was very floppy.
So I decided in a very quick decision to glue an exciter on to a brand new canvas panel with a brace at the back to support the exciter.
And that was it,nothing else just the canvas and the exciter.
It only took about half an hour to find and saw the wood for the brace and to put everything together and glue.
I have not had time to assess the sound yet but took some quick pictures of the panel and a response at 12inches.
This panel rolls off at about 300hz which is handy as this is the normal roll of on my TLS,so i xo the panels to this so no overlap anymore.
Hopefully I'll get a chance to listen tonight
Steve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-08-04 11.07.47.jpg (91.0 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-08-04 11.07.14.jpg (109.9 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-08-04 23.12.16.jpg (100.5 KB, 231 views)
Old 4th August 2021, 11:04 PM   #3425
mexjerry is offline mexjerry
diyAudio Member

do not JAM the exciter into the material
Old 4th August 2021, 11:10 PM   #3426
57buick is offline 57buick  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree with @mexjerry be careful about the depth of the brace not pushing the exciter against the canvas or that will kill your low end and probably your detail

Im not using a brace, I just used PVA primer to cover canvas then used the pva to stick a thin piece of balsa onto the panel then stuck my exciters to that and I get awesome response curve!! it doesnt even roll off till 150 or 200 sounds amazing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg without sub.jpg (130.1 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg pictures rear.jpg (668.9 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg primer sealer.jpg (765.0 KB, 89 views)
Old 5th August 2021, 12:00 AM   #3427
diyAudio Member

mexjerry and 57buick.
as you can see from my photos the canvas is perfectly flat and there is no ply panel involved , just the coil glued to the canvas.
if my 6x4inch ply was attached there would be no roll off at all until 40hz and that is with a single 10watt exciter.
this was just an experiment to see what a naked coil on the canvas would do and to prove that the ply was the main drive below 300hz.
this could also be other materials or something like a fiberglass coating or both.
ive done a few quick recordings for you of the naked canvas and exciter.
i still have not had time for a good listen yet.
steve.
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 down in the hole canvas only mp4.mp4 (7.77 MB, 22 views)
File Type: mp4 Mississippi Canvas Only mp4.mp4 (7.69 MB, 14 views)
Old 6th August 2021, 02:09 PM   #3428
diyAudio Member

The glue has pretty much dried now so took some more pictures of the full range response at 12inches and at 3m.

The response for the 12inch plot is a lot better below the 300hz mark holding up well down to about 125hz(about -10db or so) but is still outputting down to 20hz.
On the 3m full range plot ignore everything below 100hz as this disappears into the outside noise .
I decided to let the panels run down to 100hz before xo and run the sub up to 300hz this gives a nice sounding response.
What next, should I soke the panel in 50x50 mix pva and see what happens?
Any suggestions?
The response of my badly cracked cascamite canvas panel above 300hz is identical to this panel so did not take plots .
Although the low end is a lot stronger, even though the panel is quite floppy because of the cracks, maybe too much air is seeping through the naked uncoated canvas?
I'm in no rush.
I've been having a little listen while writing this ,and they seem to have quite a smooth sound, with plenty of space and detail .
Not bad for the amount of money and effort I put into building it.
I'm wondering how much more I can squeeze out of them with a little effort?
I have noticed that the exciter starts ringing on loud piano ,I know I have at least one duff exciter and it looks like I put it on this panel
Must remember to mark it this time
What a pain.
Steve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-08-06 14.02.33.jpg (107.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-08-06 14.02.59.jpg (101.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 6th August 2021, 09:38 PM   #3429
diyAudio Member

Default Handel Theodora naked canvas

i was looking for this cd for many months but could not find it ,then suddenly there it was ,unbelievable !
anyway i had to record this track ,it does not make my skin crawl with the pain in her voice like on my best panels but its all there.
steve.
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 with darkness deep as is my woe mp4.mp4 (6.95 MB, 28 views)
Old 7th August 2021, 12:22 AM   #3430
Jim G is offline Jim G  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Handel Thedora naked canvas

Hi Sedge, Your best panels are ???

A Study of DML's as a Full Range SpeakerHide this!Advertise here!