Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

A Study of DML's as a Full Range Speaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM   #2011
BurntCoil is offline BurntCoil  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedge View Post
Burntcoil.
I too have been ordered out into the garden by the boss,every day of the lockdown in fact! And I don't even like gardening!
So I'll have to keep it short,you asked about my ply panels,do you mean my rigid panels? ,it's probably on here somewhere,I could do a recording using the big or small or both ,it's a good way of getting an idea of how they sound without going through the agro of building them first!
Although they are practically full range 40hz to 20k on normal program material ,as with all panels I would keep very heavy low frequencies well away especially if you only have 10watt exciters!
The painter's picture frame isn't a bad full range panel in the same 40hz to20k range for the small size I made(it's basically a small Ply panel suspended on a canvas),I'm not sure how large you could make them before it all falls apart.
If you are not careful you could end up like me with a house full of different panels,just because you can!
Oops must go,I can hear the call of the wild!
Steve
Ah, the call that cannot be denied.

I did not express myself clearly which happens a lot these days. I am interested in the material specification on the ply panel that had a peaked response in the HF so I can try it out. Just the wood type, ply number, grade and the thickness plus any treatment you applied.

Have been striming so share the pain!

Cheers

Burnt
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM   #2012
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Covid - try "Go Advanced" and attach the pictures and they will be stored on the diyadio server. And, standard is 50 dB top/bot on the y-axis

Nice panels!!!! :-D

Please, som photo details on the hanger solution?

//
Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM   #2013
BurntCoil is offline BurntCoil  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptajnThomsen View Post
Just a thought, would sanding down a ply panel to 2mm or such be a silly idea if you cant source it that thin? I recon you would need a very good quality with all birch cores and need at least 2 layers.

Lathams in the UK stock very thin Finnish Birch Ply.

From their website

Birch Throughout II/III
EN636-2 EN314-2 : PEFC Certified

Size & Thicknesses:

1220 x 1220

0.4mm / 0.8mm / 1.2mm / 1.5mm* / 2mm

* Also available in 1525 x 1525

You should be able to source it locally as Lathams import all their ply from Europe, or 'the Continent" as are now suppose to call it.

Burnt
Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM   #2014
kaptajnThomsen is offline kaptajnThomsen  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Thanks Burnt, I now found a source for 2mm, but no details on quality, i'll have to contact them about that or look some more. You were right, that was way easier then sanding it down

Cheers
Old Today, 12:19 AM   #2015
spedge is offline spedge  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Burntcoil.
This is the only information I have,Wickes basic ply.
To be honest,I would expect most ply wood to have similar frequency responses.
But you could suprise me.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200525_005224.jpg (306.7 KB, 25 views)
Old Today, 02:32 AM   #2016
bradleypnw is offline bradleypnw
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptajnThomsen View Post
Interesting product: Muzo | Celestial Tribe Official Site
also with a billionsound exciter, in curious about the sticky pad they developed to reposition it, for testing purposes.
Have anyone else heard of this?

edit: apprently they did a kickstarter Muzo - Your Personal Zone Creator with Noise Blocking Tech. by Celestial Tribe Kickstarter where they sold it as a noise canceling device, it seems that idea didn't work out as hoped and now they just sell it as a "sound devide" lol!
Good idea. I hope it works.

A Study of DML's as a Full Range SpeakerHide this!Advertise here!