Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

A Study of DML's as a Full Range Speaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2020, 03:58 PM   #1231
bradleypnw is offline bradleypnw
diyAudio Member

Looks like strings worked better to me. A more even response in the higher frequency (above Schroeder) range were DMLs offer their comparative advantage over cone speakers.
Old 26th February 2020, 07:06 PM   #1232
BurntCoil is offline BurntCoil  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@Veleric

Eric I think the frequency response curves look good.

This is the frequency response of the Bowers & Wilkins 802 D3 Diamond, a 2019 Class A component according to Stereophile magazine.

The Bowers & Wilkins 802 D3 Diamond retails at $22,000 the pair.

Bowers & Wilkins 802 D3 Diamond loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

I would want to do some eq on this set of responses and look at where they are pitching their 0dB reference in this design. Speakers further down their range look far worse than the results you are getting
Attached Images
File Type: png B&W 802 Diamond.png (487.3 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by BurntCoil; 26th February 2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old 26th February 2020, 07:19 PM   #1233
diyAudio Member

Then there is the Wilson Audio Alexia at $109,000

Wilson Audio Specialties Alexia loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com
Attached Images
File Type: png Wilson Audio Alexis.png (509.5 KB, 216 views)
Old 27th February 2020, 01:25 AM   #1234
geosand is online now geosand  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocents View Post
I am thinking of using Latex tubing along the panel edges i.s.o. foam strips for supporting and damping the panel, but still have to figure out how to glue everything together. I think the latex will provide more movement than the foam. In fact, I think one can use latex tubing all along the edges for damping, as there are various sizes and thicknesses available. Just cut a slit along the tube and slide it over the panel edge.

As far as using a damping material around the edges, this youtube vid shows an XPS (foamular 150) panel that he then put hot water insulation tubing around the edges , in stages to determine its effect...bottomline is that he believes it works somewhat but not as well as he would like...look around 11:42 for his first attempt, later on he tries more and more of the insulation until he covered the entire outside edges.

YouTube
Old 27th February 2020, 08:12 AM   #1235
twocents is offline twocents  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Thank you for sharing the video. Observations from the video - the edge damping reduces sharpness (distortion) in the highs and also brings out more bottom end.
Old 27th February 2020, 10:35 AM   #1236
DMLBES is offline DMLBES
Banned

Those are some very tall and thin panels. I wonder what gave him the idea to use that particular shape which is similar to Burnts tall and thin panels.
Old 27th February 2020, 02:48 PM   #1237
LiliumJSN is offline LiliumJSN  Greece
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone, first post here.

We are designing our living room with my wife and I came across DMLs, which I think would be a fantastic addition to our wall.
I have read pretty much all pages from this thread trying to learn more about DMLs. While those designs can be very creative from an engineers side, they lack basic research and modelling from a physicists side I think. If you try to search modelling information for subwoofer housings for example, you will find every detail that you want. But there are no tools or simulation software for speakers like these, except those which NXT might had created. So there will be a lot trial and error and rabbit holes for an engineer.

From what I have read here, I am thinking of making plywood tall thin rectangular speakers, and as a dampening material I think I will try the canvas design. I think that this design had better/lower bass response not because there was an extra kind of vibration to the speaker, but the canvas between the frame and the DML circle (mine will be rect) acted as a dampening material. Just a thought though.
Old 27th February 2020, 05:11 PM   #1238
twocents is offline twocents  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Welcome LiliumJSN. I suspect you are correct about the canvas surrounds. I also considered starting with framed canvas panels (using rectangular plywood discs) but decided to try simple suspended plywood panels first as a reference. There are not many framed canvas examples out there yet, so keep us posted.
Old 27th February 2020, 06:16 PM   #1239
bradleypnw is offline bradleypnw
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiliumJSN View Post
If you try to search modelling information for subwoofer housings for example, you will find every detail that you want.
True. I think that's because bass enclosures are easy to model. However, the bass modeling that matters isn't easy: modal bass behavior in small rooms.

Earl Geddes followed by Harman International developed tools and methods to improve bass performance in small rooms but they aren't as widely used by DIYers as simple bass enclosure software.

YouTube
Old 27th February 2020, 08:55 PM   #1240
diyAudio Member

Thats a great video. Dr Geddes is a member of the site, gedlee.

Last edited by BurntCoil; 27th February 2020 at 08:59 PM.

A Study of DML's as a Full Range SpeakerHide this!Advertise here!