A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

Was playin' around with one of my ElCheepo transducers and discovered something kinda cool.. ;)

I wasn't happy with the high frequency response by just stickin' it to some foam board. I was drinkin' a soda and looked at the bottom of the empty can.. Hmmm...

Sawed the bottom off with my pocket knife, glued my transducer to it, cut a hole in the foam board, a little hot glue and WALA! Super Tweeter! Still transfers the Mid-Lows to the board but increases the treble response. Needs a little tuning (A dab of silicone sealer here and there to reduce some ringing) but I believe it has merit.. Check it out..

https://imageshack.com/a/53r4/1

"Is the foam board contributing mids from vibrations and aluminum cap serves as inverted dome tweeter?"

That's what I believe is happinin'. (Stayin' within the Laws of Full Range) It actually sounds better on the side the transducer is mounted to the aluminum. (Back Side?) For why, me nono..

As for measurements, I'm justa Barnyard Brainstormer. I haven't invested into any of that testing stuff yet. All I have is my ears.. ;)

Soldermizer,

First, please pardon the misspelling in my previous post. I haven't looked back at Li's abstract of conclusions, but he does list the DML efficiency as 0.92% and that of his conventional loudspeaker as 1.81%. He also indicates the overall sensitivity of the DML as about 7.5dB less than the conventional speaker, so I don't think there's really a discrepancy, at least in his test results.

I do think he used a very small panel, about 17 x 20 cm, and all his trials were with one panel material and one exciter position. You may learn more practical results about this technology with your experiments than Li did.

I agree that Mr LI took the worst possible test conditions with this tiny panel 20cmx17cm. If he used a 1 square meter his conclusions would have been very different...

regards
POL

Hi mexican,

Would you please share more about your stereo in single panel? Can't visualize your arrangement from the description above.

I once tried 3-channel in one panel (wired in linear matrix), but not successful:
DSCF1711.jpg~original

My installation work like this since 10 years or more, but you have to put two drivers in the center to accomodate the return currents from left & right sides. This means left and right drivers get the left & right amp output , and the minus (common) return to the amp ground through the two center drivers in //.

regards
POL

Long time no see, Pol !

In my previous setup in the photo above, I remember the stereo width was very limited.

Yes, there was some stereo effect and quite amazing when it's there from a few certain recordings. However, in most of the time it sounded like mono.

Do you mean that 2 drivers in parallel in the center would help in stereo effect?

I'm not so optimistic with such common panel, where vibrations among 3 channels are affecting one another. :(

I guess the material of the panel matters, too. Considering other acoustic factors, it must be very difficult to harmonize all dilemma.

Ummm surely the other way around.... Raise the centre impedance or use a higher impedance driver in the middle?

Sorry, if I don't understand you, a lower impedance in the center section will raise the left & right signals, a higher impedance in the middle will lower the left & right signals... this is simple maths and Ohm's law...:D

POL

So I've started reading into this thread recently. A couple of years ago, I had played with some exciters on the foam core board xrk971 has championed, and I was very impressed, even though my knowledge and application at the time was far from perfect :)

I think I need to take this approach with any designs I have in the (near or distant) future!

One thing I've been thinking about recently is outside of the realm of home theatre: Would it be possible to make a speaker to be used with a Bass Guitar? I currently have a 300W Bass amp that uses a 15" speaker, and I've never had to 'push it' on stage. A DML sounds like it would make for a very portable solution!

I'd probably need a response of something like 25-4000Hz. Is this something that's doable with any of the tactile transducers currently on the market (e.g. one of the Dayton Audio Bass shakers?)

I'll continue to read this thread, but for now, thanks very much for reading!

One thing I've been thinking about recently is outside of the realm of home theatre: Would it be possible to make a speaker to be used with a Bass Guitar? I currently have a 300W Bass amp that uses a 15" speaker, and I've never had to 'push it' on stage. A DML sounds like it would make for a very portable solution!

Hello, this can work well probably, but to get strong & clean bass, you'll need a BIG panel and some serious transducers to cope with the amplifier.
(I'm using 12x5W motors with a a 2x30W amplifier)

POL

That's a shame. If I remember correctly, the lowest frequency desired can only be done if the wavelength is unable to 'wrap' around the panel, in which case, yes, that would make for a huge design :) Maybe I could get away with reproducing the first harmonic (as a lot of commercial Bass amps tend to do this below the 'low E' anyway)?

The main curiosity here came from Tectonic Audio Labs' PA speakers, but even their panels are designed to work with a sub.

Still, I'm looking forward to converting my home entertainment experience to DML systems!

That's a shame. If I remember correctly, the lowest frequency desired can only be done if the wavelength is unable to 'wrap' around the panel, in which case, yes, that would make for a huge design :)!

from my experience, if you do not aim at high frequencies, you can take a wood panel heavier (& thicker) than normal, and with one (or more) strong motor you could get quite a nice low range.

POL