A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

I have had to postpone listening to DML. I have a cute 24 year old euro chick (family friend) visiting and staying with me for a few days in the guest room. Actually, I am not allowed in the guest room at same time, but you get the idea. Damn, the things we have to give up to enjoy the audio hobby!

Fortunately I had just received a a pair of Dayton DAEX30HESF-4, had some spare panels, and the guest permitted me to retrieve the speaker cables from "her" room. Even after just a few minutes of listening, it is clear they sound great, good bass. This is another example of where at least for me, DIY can be fun but several prototypes did not equal the quality of a pair of inexpensive commercial products. On the plus side, for the Bose-haters (which is nearly all of you :) ) I did sacrifice several old Bose (or clone) drivers as well as the reprehensible autosound drivers.

I did a neat experiment to combine a normal cone speaker with DML.... It works nicely. At higher frequency it work like a normal cone, but as the frequency it transforms to a DML unit.... extending the lower frequency range.

I to apart a 3” full range unit (not my own design) and mounted it on a 100 X 60 cm sandwich construction. The extension at low frequency was amassing. Any way I just wanted to share the info of this experiment.

Attachments

• Capture_762.jpg
    Capture_762.jpg
    548.2 KB · Views: 1,027
  • Capture_763.jpg
    Capture_763.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 994
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I did a neat experiment to combine a normal cone speaker with DML.... It works nicely. At higher frequency it work like a normal cone, but as the frequency it transforms to a DML unit.... extending the lower frequency range.

I to apart a 3” full range unit (not my own design) and mounted it on a 100 X 60 cm sandwich construction. The extension at low frequency was amassing. Any way I just wanted to share the info of this experiment.

Nice work ! do you have measurements you can share?

Nice RC airplane and helicopters! Great toys there.

Tak! Thank goodness for Google Translate. Sundolitt "sounds" like an interesting material for panel :)

curious: on the one hand, a "normal" full range driver operates like "ideal piston" at low frequencies. Above some threshold, it goes into "breakup" which is DML (undesired in that case.) On the other hand, using an exciter to a panel, the opposite appears to happen: the DML desired action is at lower frequencies but at highest frequencies there is output closer to the exciter (as I understand this!) Nevertheless, the DMl thiing is "good" because at least at lower (but well into the mids) frequencies the entire panel is a random collection of micro-speakers :)

I now will have to try Frank40's idea and butcher yet another Bose driver :rolleyes:

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Supply%C2%AE-Professional-Quality-Stretched/dp/B0051UW548/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1432138926&sr=8-8&keywords=canvas+frames

I made a couple with some ElCheepo 16 ohm transducers and they didn't sound too bad. Ran a bead of silicone sealer around the underside of the frame where the canvas meets the wooden frame to avoid rattles. Used clear epoxy in the area where the transducers are mounted, which makes for a good connection to the canvas and sorta kinda works as a tweeter..

Soldermizer could have a ball with these. Paint and change the tone.. ;)

Accepting orders yet? :-D

Do you mean me?

This is my new exciter, it works great..... The two spider system makes it very stable, see the video and you see the membrane is hanging on the exciter only without any other supports. The membrane is a sandwich construction of glass fibre and a sheet of 3 mm Depron.

I was a bit suppressed... first I thought the sub was turned on but it wasn't. Thesis membranes can go low in frequency but still lacking a bit at high frequency, will do more experiments on the membranes.

Link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZTozqs1oHY&feature=youtu.be

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Do you mean me?

This is my new exciter, it works great..... The two spider system makes it very stable, see the video and you see the membrane is hanging on the exciter only without any other supports. The membrane is a sandwich construction of glass fibre and a sheet of 3 mm Depron.

I was a bit suppressed... first I thought the sub was turned on but it wasn't. Thesis membranes can go low in frequency but still lacking a bit at high frequency, will do more experiments on the membranes.

Link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZTozqs1oHY&feature=youtu.be

That is very nice - amazing that the whole membrane is supported by the voicecoil/spider and nowhere else. It must be a pretty light panel. Great work, thanks for sharing.