Digital Piano Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,
Haven't been around for a while. I am looking for a couple of full range speakers to use for a digital piano. I'm currently using a Roland 2.1 system which consists of a Sub and 2 satellite speakers. I don't at all like the little satellites, there is way too much resonance coming from the box they're in, even though they're suppose to be for musical instruments. The sub puts out 200 watts, 100 for the sub, and 50 for each satellite speaker. I was thinking of going with 2 Dayton audio PS220 's mounted on a larger piece of plywood, set up in the corner of the small 10 X 13 room. These powered from the roland sub. Would it be reasonable to expect this to work? Would any of you have any other suggestions?
The piano is a Roland V-piano and it does not have its' own built in speakers, but it produces very realistic piano voices. So far the limitation has been the speakers.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think of 2 oddballs.

1. Maybe some guitar drivers would be a good choice. There're quite some models sounding nice and clean, before overdriven, of course.

2. I remember a guy using tactile transducer on a piece of fur (?) -- said to be the same material as the sound board of a real piano. I believe that'd be amazing. :D

Oh, er, I myself use some Yamaha drivers on OB which were derived from electone -- sort of ancient digital piano. They sound nice, too.

In addition, I think this older thread is overlapped with this: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/271003-fr-typical-solo-piano.html

Last edited:
Last weekend I hooked up our Roland HP201 to a Bryston amplifier and large speaker. This improved the bass considerably over the built-in amp/speakers. But the sound quality was still not great considering that the technology is supposed be based on recording actual acoustic piano sounds and then playing them back in response to key actuation. There is the potential with this approach to achieve superb sound. Reluctantly I think the source is inadequate, the speaker is not the limiting factor that I had hoped for. I'm not sure if it's the internal digital data or the internal DAC and so I suspect both. As a result, I think there's an opportunity make a MUCH better sounding electric piano, but they don't seem to want to bother.

Last edited:
Hi,

The Roland CM220 (presumably) shouldn't be that bad.

Still given for what its designed for its going to give
piano no favours, its probably too crude and raucous.

Decent HiFi amplifier and speakers is the way to go.

rgds, sreten.

Well, yes you are correct, the cm220 sounds awesome with the rodgers organ, but it doesent do much for the piano, although the sub is fine. I'm looking for a stronger deeper mid range, and thought that the Dayton's might work well plugged into the sub rather than the roland satellites that came with the cm 220.

I think of 2 oddballs.

1. Maybe some guitar drivers would be a good choice. There're quite some models sounding nice and clean, before overdriven, of course.

2. I remember a guy using tactile transducer on a piece of fur (?) -- said to be the same material as the sound board of a real piano. I believe that'd be amazing. :D

Oh, er, I myself use some Yamaha drivers on OB which were derived from electone -- sort of ancient digital piano. They sound nice, too.

In addition, I think this older thread is overlapped with this: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/271003-fr-typical-solo-piano.html

I was also thinking of this as well for the baffle material. Yamaha's Avant pianos and some of kawai's are going that way by installing their speakers onto a spruce (probably plywood) soundboard, open on both sides.

Hi All,

FYI:

b:)

Attachments

• 2x Dayton_PS220-8_Single-Sheet-OB.JPG
    2x Dayton_PS220-8_Single-Sheet-OB.JPG
    856.4 KB · Views: 270
Last weekend I hooked up our Roland HP201 to a Bryston amplifier and large speaker. This improved the bass considerably over the built-in amp/speakers. But the sound quality was still not great considering that the technology is supposed be based on recording actual acoustic piano sounds and then playing them back in response to key actuation. There is the potential with this approach to achieve superb sound. Reluctantly I think the source is inadequate, the speaker is not the limiting factor that I had hoped for. I'm not sure if it's the internal digital data or the internal DAC and so I suspect both. As a result, I think there's an opportunity make a MUCH better sounding electric piano, but they don't seem to want to bother.
Conditioning of the setup could be key - we have a 20 year old Yamaha keyboard just using the internal speakers, and on switch on after a long break the grand piano sound is truly awful, miles from the "real thing", :). So the procedure is to hammer the unit for many hours, even days - driving it with MIDI data - at the loudest volume you can tolerate. This steadily stabilises all the internals, and at the end a very presentable grand piano emerges, could easily fool someone who wasn't listening extremely carefully.

So, the samples are fine, and the digital handling prior to the DAC is good - it's all the weaknesses from within the DAC onward that drag down the show -and at least in our case giving everything in the analogue side a heavy workout throws off the cobwebs ... ;).

B1vgnm43, you will need a speaker that can handle a wide dynamic range, and that is relatively free from compression effects. I don't believe that common near-field monitors will satisfy you. A speaker type that approaches this most practically falls in the pro audio category, though these do tend to be large. I would look into the popular Econowave-format speakers whether you are DIY-ing or buying a commercial product. They will still need subwoofer reinforcement.

If you have to use smaller speakers, you may have to consider that the best performance you will get will be in the near field. For this type, have a look at the compact HK Audio loudspeakers (NANO and SMART).

Good luck!

I've seen there're some ready-made products as computer speakers. They look like upside down cups, powered by USB etc, which is said to have the ability to turn every surface as a loudspeaker blah blah blah... Haven't seen component yet.

My own exciters were bought from Parts Express.

I was also thinking of this as well for the baffle material. Yamaha's Avant pianos and some of kawai's are going that way by installing their speakers onto a spruce (probably plywood) soundboard, open on both sides.
Yamaha appears to be quite the innovator in this area. Their TransAcoustic model is a regular upright piano with a transducer (or perhaps several) put on the soundboard. I wonder whether this is "correct," as sampled piano sounds have already gone through a soundboard with its resonances, and when being played back through this system are going through a soundboard AGAIN. But perhaps they're using "special" piano samples.
The implementation of TransAcoustic Technology "injects" sound into the acoustic soundboard of the piano without hindering the movement of the soundboard itself, preserving the fidelity of both the acoustic and digital attributes of the instrument.
Hybrid Pianos - Pianos & Keyboards - Musical Instruments - Products - Yamaha United States

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.