Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alpair 12 and 7 combo build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2015, 02:47 AM   #1
mikejennens is offline mikejennens  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair 12 and 7 combo build

I tried to find the info through the search function and through Google, but no luck. I have some A7.3's in FH3's and I love them. I use a small sub (a Voxel from Paul Carmody on the Parts Express forum) to fill out the bottom end.
I thought I read about using an Alpair 12??? and another MA driver in combination. I'd like to look into this, but I can't find the threads. The amount of knowledge Dave and Chris have shared with the rest of us is inspiring and awesome. I'm hoping they can provide some guidance if I go this route.
Thanks,
Mike
HiFiMeDIY T3 amp, FiiO DAC, HP Laptop source, Paul Carmody's Sunflowers and Core Two-Ways, Jeff Bagby's Continuums, Bjorn's TABAQs with the Dayton PS95 ... and a set of 60 year-old worn out ears from 1959
Old 14th March 2015, 03:15 AM   #2
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

What you are looking for is the new A12pw (extended range woofer -- it should be noted that it has response that extends further out than many a driver called FR).

This driver has been optimized for more bass. The Vas is quite a bit higher than the A12, the efficiency is less, and with that you get more bass extention.

It can be used with any FR in a FAST. A7.3 is certainly one of those. XO could be anywhere up to... well XO could be almost anywhere.

Scott sketched up a design with A7p. Alpair 7P & Alpair 12PW combination.

Chris & i have built an A7PeN + 2 x A12pWeN in an MTM with the A12pw loaded by a Woden ML-TL. Bass into the high 20s or so -- we haven't documented this yet.

I am also giving thot to trying A12pw with a set of CSS RT1 ribbon tweeters,

dave
Old 16th March 2015, 08:55 AM   #3
timpert is offline timpert  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Nice to see that the subject is being resurrected...

I am in the middle of building an A7P/A12PW system. At the moment, the baffles are roughly finished. Progress is slow as I can spend less time on them than I would like, but such is life...

The A7P gets a closed volume, the 12PW a vented box of about 42 Liters. It looks a bit like the "simple 2-way", but the cabinet construction is different in my case, and the filter will thus also be different. I think of a series filter, but I will not fill in the details until I know the response of both drivers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0293.jpg (67.3 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0292.jpg (79.9 KB, 306 views)
Old 16th March 2015, 11:01 PM   #4
Sodacose is offline Sodacose  United States
diyAudio Member

Subscribed
Old 23rd April 2015, 09:22 AM   #5
timpert is offline timpert  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I have taken the discussion on my project here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plane...-new-post.html

There are several systems and options being discussed in that thread, mine is just one of the currently active ones.

Alpair 12 and 7 combo buildHide this!Advertise here!