DDR

-have not liked a lot of recordings in the last 30 years - seem dead and homogenized "plastic tone" glare on strings - jazz or classical with baroque suffering a lot. Maybe its the op-amp mixers, mics - or even the redbook process - some recordings at least in non critical listening will sound "better" with an aural exciter introduced into the playback circuit despite "bad caps" garbage IC's, peaks, etc. these gizmos add "texture" I'm not indicating a ring at 10K does the same thing. BetsyK has a 10KHz peak which probably helps it a bit subjectively.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
GregB,
My suspicion of enhanced audibility of detail came about primarily because of the rave reviews of the aluminum cone A7.3. Have you looked at what its IR looks like? The first ring peak is about 60% of FS and it is a heavy ring - at about 10kHz. This frequency specific ring - for some reason makes quick sharp low level percussions sound more audible - but not smeared beyond recognition. I think it gives it emphasis. Because if we say that ringing drivers don't have detail then the A7.3 would fare badly - which, based on reports of others, is just the opposite. I think it can sound good with this type of enhanced audibility.
Sibilance by any other name [emphasis, definition, pierce, etc.] is still sibilance, which some folks like and others don't [me and the friends who use 'FR' drivers], so while it may sound like more/better detail to some, it just sounds to others like the irritating distortion that it really is.

For folks like me then, the great bang/buck EL70, FRS125S with their so-called good 'detail' ultimately lost out to tweaked RS 40-1354 drivers by the several folks who tried them out in the same MLTL alignment for several months each.

In retrospect, I'm assuming it's more about whether one has tinnitus or not as to what we prefer.

GM

I'm in the camp where silibance really irritates me. I've not heard any Alpair drivers but I suspect I would find that 10Khz peak very irritating and would probably try to filter it out. I also suffer from tinnitus, and don't really hear anything higher than about 13K...

One way of verifying your hypothesis xrk would be to do just that. filter out the 10Khz peak with a narrow notch just enough to knock it back into a relatively flat response, and see whether that turns it into a "insert appropriate term here" driver, or whether it still possesses whatever it is that makes people like it. This of course could only be properly done with double blind testing in a properly controlled experiment.

Tony.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I'm in the camp where silibance really irritates me. I've not heard any Alpair drivers but I suspect I would find that 10Khz peak very irritating and would probably try to filter it out. I also suffer from tinnitus, and don't really hear anything higher than about 13K...

One way of verifying your hypothesis xrk would be to do just that. filter out the 10Khz peak with a narrow notch just enough to knock it back into a relatively flat response, and see whether that turns it into a "insert appropriate term here" driver, or whether it still possesses whatever it is that makes people like it. This of course could only be properly done with double blind testing in a properly controlled experiment.

Tony.

I would first need a sample of a driver with known capability for DDR. I wonder if DDR can be recorded and heard with headphones? I could record at 96kHz and 32bit and store as a FLAC.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
hehe perhaps I should post the full quote of what I said ;)

I'd not come across the DDR term before but to me it seems it is simply the ability of a driver to reproduce low level information in the signal at the same time as producing the louder parts. That is it can still faithfully reproduce the low level details without being swamped by the higher level signal.

That seems like something technical to me and in no way an audiophile concept.

Bit like when mp3 lossy crompression came out. Suposedly the low level details could not be heard so could be thrown away without ill effect. I think that has been proven incorrect with DBT's.

Tony.

I don't have the depth of knowledge to back up the above but it is something I have observed over the years myself but never had a label for it. I also have my own thoughts about the number of simultaneous signals, not just differences between low and high levels, but that is a different matter.

Tony.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I would first need a sample of a driver with known capability for DDR. I wonder if DDR can be recorded and heard with headphones?

Every driver has a DDR, do you mean one with high DDR. The output of the speaker would be convolved with the performance of the mic and the entire chain that follows it. Pretty easy to end up with degraded DDR.

dave

Yeah, all the noise and distortion would add up and get bottlenecked. It would be a weakest link thing. Electronics can be pretty clean, but whenever you go through transducers there's going to be a loss.

Also, I've yet to hear any headphones that could match the resolution of good speakers. Maybe STAX? Never heard them. I've got HD600 among others.

Stax seemed pretty good but its over 30 years since had a set and their sound varied depending upon whether hooked with an interface to whatever power amp or a dedicated (mosfet for mine) Stax headphone amp - sometimes the power amp interface sounded "softer" and more natural or less fatiguing . hopefully there should be some decent dynamic headphones these days which aren't real expensive (P10 - are there such things?)

building w/ full rangers is like searching for the Holy Grail with no one knowing what it looks like. only a few have, saying "DDR" like they know the way. sure thing bud
The actual reference is live music. I'd say many using full range loudspeakers have that as their reference. No need to introduce DDR there, just ask how close to live it sounds.

Pearl Acoustics have a series of live acoustic performances presented via their Mark Audio based systems. The implication being that the result is demonstrably real.

DDR in diyAudio

The term "DDR" has a way of popping up in threads on speakers.

Now it has a thread of its own. Great.

To get some historical sense of "DDR" and speakers I search the forum for posts with: Keyword(s): DDR and get 714 hits.

I scan through the pages of hits reading the headers and discover a lot of use of the term as computer memory, and a thread with "DDR" used in the name of a speaker.

So I refine search to: Keyword(s): DDR ; Forum: Loudspeakers and sub forums and get 396 hits. I scan through the pages of hits reading the headers. Now what pops out with high recurrence is "planet10".

So out of curiosity I refine the search to: Keyword(s): DDR ; Posts Made By: planet10 ; Forum: Loudspeakers and sub forums and get 163 hits.

163/396 is roughly 41%. I dare say that if the topic "DDR" pertaining to loudspeakers has a central figure, we know who it is.

Seeking to increase my knowledge base I have read a good sampling of these posts.

Here is a good one:

We don't use the connecters, just solder to the main terminals. The connectors are for people who insist on using far too fat speaker wire. With the needs of an A6p 24g solid (as found in CAT5/6 cable is more than sufficient (and IMO has DDR advantages over thicker/stranded).

dave

It shows correct usage of the term IMO indicating that the information provided is purely personal preference and is not based on the performance of wire.

The "IMO" phrase sends the clear message that a response to the post would be all about personal preference and not about the performance of wire.

So IMO all further posts in other threads with the term "DDR" as used in the context of this thread should be moved here.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes.i am a cheerleader for the term DDR.

It is important for people to think about as they put together their system. It is certainly a goal in mine.

It must have you thinking. You must have spent a lot of time digging out those stats. And read a lot of the posts.

IMO indicating that the information provided is purely personal preference and is not based on the performance of wire

I am sure you have your own opinions of wire in your system too.

dave

Yes.i am a cheerleader for the term DDR.

It is important for people to think about as they put together their system. It is certainly a goal in mine.

It must have you thinking. You must have spent a lot of time digging out those stats. And read a lot of the posts.

I am sure you have your own opinions of wire in your system too.

dave

No Dave, the statistics run really fast.

The wire post suggests that you have a "DDR" ranking preference for different types of wire. One must assume that you use the same value system for ranking speaker drivers, speaker enclosures and apparently DACs too.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The wire post suggests that you have a "DDR" ranking preference for different types of wire. One must assume that you use the same value system for ranking speaker drivers, speaker enclosures and apparently DACs too.

I do. For my system. I value the same thing in all my kit. Everyone has a value sysyetm for ranking pieces of kit.

But most important i enjoy listening to music on my hifi. That is the point isn't it?

Zilla, i don't like sibilance either. The sound of something going wrong.

dave