WAW / FAST build ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Alpair 7 and sdx7 that I bought several years back. I would really like to start a build with these. I would likely need to use a passive x-over,as I have no dsp or experience with them. Any plans or examples of this ? I have seen planet 10's ,but I do not quite understand PLLXO. Thank you

Last edited:
I don't think the question as to how PLLXO is implemented has actually been described, this primer is as good a place to start as any, and includes an excel calculator to determine component values.

TLS.org | Passive Line-Level Crossover

In short, it can be as simple as a pair of resistors and very low value caps at the input of each amp - they can even be soldered directly at the input jacks with a bypass switch for full range.

Dave: note that the link to Alex's website on the bottom of BSC page is now 403

That single SDX7 will want a massive coil. I know first hand. And it's not very sensitive. It's rated as an 8ohm driver, but I think it's minimum impedance is something like 9ohms, and most 8ohm drivers have a 6ohm minimum, or thereabouts. The high impedance will require a very large inductor. Go price out a 8mH inductor and then price out a minidsp or PLLXO.

:(
That single SDX7 will want a massive coil. I know first hand. And it's not very sensitive. It's rated as an 8ohm driver, but I think it's minimum impedance is something like 9ohms, and most 8ohm drivers have a 6ohm minimum, or thereabouts. The high impedance will require a very large inductor. Go price out a 8mH inductor and then price out a minidsp or PLLXO.
A first order Butterworth at 250 hz calls for a 5.2 mh coil. I have several of that size or larger,that were used for passive auto subs. The large cap values are something else again.If I do go passive I will have to use electrolytics.Somebody needs to put out a " digital x-overs for dummys " book .
wAAACH5BAEAAAMALAAAAAAVABQAAAJBnI+py50AoUNQWCsduBy33XUAAwbBZXoKKKSWK4xPSMsUHdoHi6t3SzvFFqWOUPdrmWDIZG5S4WQmg8iUis1qswUAOw==

I don't think the question as to how PLLXO is implemented has actually been described, this primer is as good a place to start as any, and includes an excel calculator to determine component values.

TLS.org | Passive Line-Level Crossover

In short, it can be as simple as a pair of resistors and very low value caps at the input of each amp - they can even be soldered directly at the input jacks with a bypass switch for full range.with.
Dave: note that the link to Alex's website on the bottom of BSC page is now 403
This is most likely what I will do down the road. I have a Sure 2x100w amp board to experiment with. I can't tell what values they are choosing for the resistors. what is this k and w ??

This is most likely what I will do down the road. I have a Sure 2x100w amp board to experiment with. I can't tell what values they are choosing for the resistors. what is this k and w ??

If the highlighted above refers to the values shown on the PLLXO page, "k" would refer to Kilohms, and the "w" would likely reference wattage rating of the resistors. Funny that is,- I've read that page numerous times, and have used the linked calculator spreadsheet as well, and never noticed the lack of a value for the "w". As the V/A levels present at line levels will be very small, I'd imagine you could easily get away with 1/4W at the most. That, and the fact that the load seen by the filter ( amplifiers' input impedance) is orders of magnitude higher than any loudspeaker, is why the component values and associated cost are so much lower than when calculating high ( speaker) level filters.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.