FE108EZ in a Frugel-horn?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First off, finished my 2nd "Fraggle" horn and I'm very impressed. The designer did an excellent job. I like the sound of the Fostex drivers. Tried a MA driver a while ago and it didn't do it for me. Right now I'm running the ff105wk in them, and the results are quite good.

Would the FE108ez or FW108n be any kind of improvement in the FH, or even work in it? Happy with the speakers so far, but always looking for improvement if it's viable.

Here's a crappy pic of the rough-finished pair. Once I finalize on the preferred driver I'll veneer them.

Attachments

• 2015-02-14 08.57.59.jpg
    2015-02-14 08.57.59.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 183
By all reckoning, yes, the 108 would work in the FH3, likely with less bass extension and "slam" than the FF driver. If you're still curious about other drivers that might work, and have the budget to consider the 108Sigma, I think you ow it to yourself to try the Alpair7M.

Drivers are well broken in. Normally, yes, any home theater application wouldn't be ideal. But I'm using a Meridian Pre/Pro and an ICEPower amp. I had various tube preamps in the past, BAT vk3i, Bottlehead, and a few others. The Meridian amazed me because I replace the BAT with it and lost nothing in musical quality. It's the only theater preamp that I've used that I'd consider suitable for good audio. For curiosity I put an NAD setup and Adcom setup in when I still had the bookshelf Fostex setup and it was painful to listen to. Even the Lexicon sounded harsh.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.