Single Driver question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have decided to build a single driver system... see the "2-way thread"...

I am looking for drivers that can be built into a sealed or ported enclosure.... maybe a TQWP. i.e. NOT horn loaded.

recommendations for fav. driver?

Fostex has some, the Coral's etc..

I have looked at the Single Driver Website also.

Thanks!

Are you going to augment with a sub? There was just some discussion on this subject. Some are saying to use a larger driver with a helper tweeter but you used the phrase "single driver". My first reaction would be to use Fostex FE-103 or 107 in a Voigt pipe. I'm pleased with the results of mine. If you have a little more money to spend the 108 Sigma is a safe investment. A bonus with the Fostex drivers is the relatively lower cost and plethora of design information available. Oh yeah, they sound great!

I have used some of the Radio Shack, several Fostex, and now the Lowther DX series of full range drivers. I have listed these drivers by price and also by performance. The Fostex drivers are very high quality and can sound really nice if the design is well done. However, the Lowther DX series in my ML TL blow away my Fostex designs. The Lowthers are exceptional drivers at a premium price.

One other note, if you are going to build a sealed, ported, TL, or some form of TQWT enclosure using a full range driver you will definitely need a compensation circuit to balance the SPL response. Full range purists will tell you that these circuits are pure evil in a full range system but everybody I know that has tried one has prefered the system with the circuit. It is just a matter of tweaking the circuit to get just the right response.

Hope that helps,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.