Alpair 7P directivity measurements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Does anyone have measurements of the Alpair 7P frequency response off axis? Sadly, the data sheet only includes the on-axis response.

Also: Mark Audio's site (http://markaudio.com/component/k2/itemlist/category/31-Raw-Drivers) does not have the data sheet for the 7P version. Should this be taken as an indicator that the driver is being phased out?

Thanks,

~Tom

Last edited:
Should this be taken as an indicator that the driver is being phased out?
Not at all! I dare to say...
It's a new driver after all.
The problem with data being published is that there are heat debates over the importance, accuracy, method, equipment, conditions, etc on the measurements.
I think that because MA was over criticized on the data being published, in an un-constructive manner, that they decided to publish the minimum data (or just the data that every other manufacturer publish).
Maybe you can look for independent measurements. Try the Full range forum. A user helping a lot with this is xrk971 and you can read some info on Rutcho's site.

tom: Mark's resources have always been stretched a bit thin, and even with recent changes, updating their website has frequently lagged behind R&D and production / shipping, so I think it's safe to conclude that's all that's at play here.

Such "factory" measurements of this driver as have been made available for publication can be found on Madisound's site;
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c.../markaudio-alpair-7p-paper-cone-4-full-range/ - which I assume is what you're referencing.

As Gaston notes above, the general topic of measurements has long been a thorny issue for Mark.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It's a new driver after all.

The problem with data being published is that there are heat debates over the importance, accuracy, method, equipment, conditions, etc on the measurements.

I didn't realize it's a new driver. No worries. I can wait for data.

Sadly data is under-appreciated by many audio enthusiasts. I've faced quite a bit of that myself. I've also been given glowingly positive feedback for publishing data for my circuits, so it really goes both ways. I hope Mark will ignore the negative criticism and publish the data so those of us who do appreciate data can make informed decisions on which drivers to purchase.

What I do appreciate about MA's data sheet is that they do show lightly smoothed data (my guess is 1/24th octave smoothing) rather than the 1/3 octave smoothing shown by other manufacturers. Mark's an honest guy. I like that.

Such "factory" measurements of this driver as have been made available for publication can be found on Madisound's site;
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c.../markaudio-alpair-7p-paper-cone-4-full-range/ - which I assume is what you're referencing.

The data at Madisound shows the on-axis frequency response. It would be nice with the data for 15, 30, 45, 60 degrees as well. At least 15 and 30 degrees. If the 7P performs as well as the 7.3, I'll be happy to buy a pair.

~Tom

Hi Guys,
Its an opportune time as there's been discussions within the new owners group (MarkAudio Loudspeakers Limited and Sota-Markaudio) on data presentation. Currently the investment into an even larger anechoic chamber is happening to the tune of 25,000US$. This + investing in CLIO version 11 and a new lab class mics means the new investment is being taken seriously.

Alas, its unlikely that the data provided by this new set-up will be made available to the Diy side of the business. Some of the new owners have little confidence for being given fair treatment on this issue within Diyaudio. Too much of the negative criticism thats based on home testing doesn't relate to industry standard driver-on-baffle anechoic work. Some diy (non-anechoic) testing proponents too often claim their work is somehow magically superior. None would believe 2 blokes sharing a old 10 dollar multimeter saying "yes we've thoroughly tested your Boeing 747, ready to fly you anywhere". Yet in Diyaudio, some believe such an thinking is perfectly valid.

On the other hand, some makers in the past and today purposefully present data that flaffers a driver's performance. Over-smoothing a response has fuelled suspicion in the minds of some end-users for good reason. Then again, those with any common sense in the business know there's no such thing as a perfect response, so see little point in presenting data thats open to misinterpretation.

I've put allot of hours into Diyaudio trying to facilitate a mature debate to reach some consensus, alas with no success. I've been "shot" too many times by a strident very vocal minority who, in my opinion have deliberately train-wrecked the discourse to favour their own egos. Its a form of modern trolling that has become spicy reading but has done nothing to create genuine enlightenment. Their type of posting activity has damaged Markaudio's business. Its applied even more pressure on me while I'm less able to cope due to my poor health. They take perverse pleasure from their efforts to de-rail the only maker who's prepared to engage with end-users.

Summarising, at this stage, the new owners are likely to stick with LMS V4 data presentation until such time as they feel confident of a seed change inside Diyaudio. This might be a long time (if ever). I wish the situation were different. At least I tried.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited:
For us here in the Philippines who are Mark Audio users feel and believe your products are awesome and heaven sent! Thank you for bringing your products to us. Our ears have decided:D

Many thanks Joey,
Your support is appreciated.

Some members tell me I'm too critical of these types of issues for which I apologise, its not my intention. But I do think its right to let all members know the situation from MarkAudio's perspective, so everyone is fully informed.

"Free speech" at any cost isn't right. A few members spoil it for the larger reasonable majority knowing they can say anything of a nonsensical sudo-babble-technical nature, without any requirement for taking personal responsibility for their comments. Such is the construction of many forums, identities are hidden. Even moderators are hidden. The operation of the forum is hidden, its ownership is effectively hidden, yet its operated as a "for profit" business. I hope new MarkAudio wishes to be an open, transparent and engaging business within Diyaudio. Given the current operational philosophy of Diyaudio, its difficult to know what the longer term outcome will be.

I risk wondering off topic so I'll end here. Suffice to say I personally would like to publish more in-depth data, but given the current situation on the way this type of issue is handled on Diyaudio, I see no immediate future to add more detailed information. My apologies for this, but there's little specifically I can do.

I would like to expand on the 7P's design and operation, engage more with you guys, but I'm not sure its wise for me to do so; Just becomes cannon fodder for the modern techno-trollers.

I can say this, put any Markaudio driver product in a half decent reasonably well made box; Feed them with a reasonable amp signal and good source, you'll get a pleasing workable result. The drivers will do their job.

My email for the time being remains: support@markaudio.com

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited:
Hi Tomchr,
Apologies I'm not able to publicly assist you for the reasons given. Fee free to email me if you need more support.

I've left my email address in case there's items that guys would me to comment on. I'll do my best but my email bag is busy, so please allow time to me to wade through the various requests.

Cheers
Mark.

I don't own any MA drivers; but certainly do not rule out the possibility.

Anybody really concerned about polar pattern can DIY and compare.

MA pursuit of very low profile driver membranes all but guarantees polar patterns at least as good as competitor's.

I seriously doubt that a builder confronted with MA polar data would shy away because they thought the patterns were too wide; likewise I would be dumbfounded if a builder found MA driver polar pattern to be too narrow relative to any other manufacture's similar offerings.

I see no competitive advantage in MA providing such data for their target market.

Hi Mark,
Good words and obviously heartfelt.
I share your concern regarding the few that seem to delight in denegrating genuine products and developments. It is, unfortunately, possible for those with a little (or no) knowledge to abuse valid data to further their own ends; be it for commercial purposes or just mischief.
The underlying principle which I believe this forum is founded on is the sharing of knowledge and support in learning about audio. It is disappointing that some "members" choose to criticise, based on either their personal prejudices or very limited technical resources.
As you point out this does little to encourage manufacturers to present true data.
Ultimately for many of us the acid test is whether we like the sound or performance our efforts produce.
I wish you and the comapny well for the future and hope that a more positive attitude will pervade.

Hi Tomchr,
Apologies I'm not able to publicly assist you for the reasons given. Fee free to email me if you need more support.

No worries. I'll toss you an email.

It's unfortunate that some people don't have the perspective to recognize true state-of-the-art performance from objective measurements and instead get hung up on a slight wiggle in the waveform.

~Tom

Last edited:
... I've also been given glowingly positive feedback for publishing data for my circuits, so it really goes both ways...
Holy moly :eek: I didn't realize that you are the one who designed that 300B tube amp and the companion, very informative, site! Congratulations!!
I don't own you circuits but I had a great time reading your site and would consider buying your amp in a future amp upgrade. Very interesting indeed ;)

If you don't own a MA yet, please buy one. It's a great driver and tremendous bang for the buck. I own many other brands, but the MA are really something special and with a neutral tone that it's hard to match. :)

I understand your position Mark. It's a shame, but valid. I have easy access to the German magazines and they offer standardised measurements of drivers. I know you don't particularly like those measurements or recognise your drivers' behaviour in them, but at least they are standardised and all makes and models get the same disadvantages. Your drivers always shine in those tests.

Thank you for your kind comments. I actually purchased my first Mark Audio drivers last year and completed the speakers about two weeks ago. I used the Alpair 6P in an enclosure by Planet-10. I really like it. The 6P is definitely a nice driver.

I've subsequently learned that I'd prefer a sealed enclosure, so I'm looking to run a 7P with a subwoofer crossed at 100-200 Hz. We'll see if I can pull it off.

~Tom

Holy moly :eek: I didn't realize that you are the one who designed that 300B tube amp and the companion, very informative, site! Congratulations!!
I don't own you circuits but I had a great time reading your site and would consider buying your amp in a future amp upgrade. Very interesting indeed ;)

If you don't own a MA yet, please buy one. It's a great driver and tremendous bang for the buck. I own many other brands, but the MA are really something special and with a neutral tone that it's hard to match. :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Why 250 Hz? Shouldn't the 7P be able to go lower with an LR4 active crossover? I'm seeing f3s around 100 Hz for a sealed box (simulation)...

Chris is using what is built in to his Onkyo HT receiver. The aim is to use a 1st order XO (Chris is unlikely using such), as that maintains phase coherence. Anything higher screws that up.

dave

To clarify, the XO in this case is internal DSP on an Onkyo surround receiver that allows for assigning amp channels unused for the 6&7th channel of surround effects for bi-amping of front mains. While many in this class may have that feature, there are relatively few that have the option of digital XO & "true" bi-amping of that pair.

250 happens to be the lowest point- IIRC, it can go as high as into the mid 3000s?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.