Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th June 2019, 07:05 PM   #941
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

The XKi W5-2143's are my lab test speakers that get played when I do the first sound on an amp. So in that sense, they are special because they are the first voice of all new amps. They have deeper bass extension than the dual 3FE25-16 0.53x K'nators. The latter have a more clear and forward midrange. The highs of the 3FE25's are very good - like a great tweeter. The W5-2143's are not far behind. Sound quality wise, I think the 3FE25-16 Karlsonators have the edge as they can sound great with almost anything. The exception is that stuff with deep bass kick drums will do better on W5-2143 XKi. I like them both, but most music will sound more direct and crisp with the 3FE25.
Old 25th June 2019, 01:22 PM   #942
twocents is offline twocents  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Thank you X for the comparison feedback and I trust you incorporated your wifeís impressions too. Maybe you were biased and had to say nice things about SWMBO's Karlsonators. Anyway, the observations are pretty much what Iíve suspected, but not what Iíve hoped for. It confirms that the dual 3FE25-16 0.53x Karlsonators are very special.
Old 25th June 2019, 02:53 PM   #943
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

These are all my own impressions. My wife likes the sound of the 10F/RS225 FAST the best. Those are my reference speakers so that makes sense. She has not had an opinion on the W5-2143 XKi’s as they are my “lab speakers”.
Old 7th July 2019, 06:57 AM   #944
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

well - if my builder has time, I told him to go ahead with "one" 34 liter XKi for P-Audio's SN10C coax. With Karlson's originals, and favorable speaker match, there's no need * to have any damping at all in the front chamber. With little cavities things can get rough. There will be only 8.5 liters front chamber in this XKi and no absorber stub to control reflections. I hope the top vent does some of the work of a stub.

(* a little bit of felt on the inside of the wings might be useful with some speakers - I know that could help with my Nirvana super10 and Karlsonator12)

Does Acoustic Control's 115bk middle chamber act as smoothing stub? That's a good little coupler and makes a decent graph with the port blocked. There was no damping material whatsoever in the 115BK rear or front when I took some outdoor graphs. Also, my tall K18 is smooth and very good sounding. It did seem to have a little bump at 80Hz with 18" having ~140g moving mass, The old EV18B had about half that mass and ideal for K-duty.

Last edited by freddi; 7th July 2019 at 06:59 AM.
Old 14th July 2019, 05:45 AM   #945
diyAudio Member

~ xrk971 - I'm still interested in an XKi helper woofer module for Dayton's PA310. High outpuit and small size preferred over LF extension. It would be nice to have rock solid bass to the mid 50s 2 pi - if possible without making it too large. Solid to 60 would not be bad as in a K12 2 pi, its more like 80Hz.

Def_Driver "PA310" | Dayton 12 inch 96dB 450w Xmax 5.0mm
Sd=530.9cm2
Fs=39Hz
Mms=72.8g
Qms=8.85
Qes=0.30
Re=5.5ohm
BL=18.0Tm
Vas=91.74658L
Old 14th July 2019, 06:22 AM   #946
diyAudio Member

using MMJ's proposed model (and very little idea of how to adjust/scale it) I come up with 31 liters back chamber and about the same (when the 4.7 liter stub is taken into account) for the front chamber. Hopefully MMJ will have enough free time to comment on his model's assumptions and what may be adjusted with some degree of realism.

Click the image to open in full size.

XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order BandpassHide this!Advertise here!