Go Back   Home > Forums > >

XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass
XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2021, 08:57 PM   #1221
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

hey X. - I think PRV's 10FR300 could make a good bang for the buck fullrange XKi in a reasonable size box. 40 liter rear chamber
is larger than what lower Q could make but still not too big. What dimensions would you use for this approximate alignment ?

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by freddi; 21st January 2021 at 09:00 PM.
Old 21st January 2021, 09:20 PM   #1222
luigi is offline luigi  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Back from our summer hols - we in the southern hemisphere have Xmas and New Year during the hottest months which is kind of nice, though I guess snow would be too - and I decided to try something a bit different from the Karlsonator, reverting to a woofer-assisted wideband design in a PVC cylinder bend but with homemade waveguides. I guess I just wasn't getting enough oomph from the W5 Tangband.

So this design just uses an inductor on the 10-inch RS270P-4 Dayton woofer and no crossover for the Mark Audio 7MS. The waveguides I constructed from lamp shades; just shave off their bottoms really with one of those multitool vibrating saws that nurses use to cut plasters off broken limbs.

Suffice to say the bass is back, though that's largely due to the fact that I can biamp these things, the Burson Bang for the 7MS and a 125wpc DIY audio design for the 10-inchers.

I like the improved staging with these too, there's real depth now and better imaging than with the Karlsonators. I'm not sure I have the right sized inductor which is set for around 250Hz but I figured start there and head back down. Might try 150Hz next; guess it is best to let the 7 MS do as much of the voice as possible. Any suggestions re optimal x-over point would be welcomed.

They're not quite as aesthetically pleasing as the Ks but they are certainly different. The Mrs hasn't seen them yet....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woofer assisted wideband crop.jpg (378.2 KB, 57 views)
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:54 AM   #1223
diyAudio Member

they look very pleasing to my eyes. The waveguide should work very well - what lampshade in particular did you employ?

here's a rough idea for a PRV 10FR300 XKi. I don't have hornresp so don't know what length the duct should be if 12 inches wide by say 1" tall (?)

10FR300 has 2mm xmax by overhang and "4mm" xmax including 0.25X its 8mm gap height. The other inexpensive FR would be Visaton's BG20. I'm not sure what it would require space wise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10FR300 XKI ROUGH GUESS WEB1.JPG (48.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:13 PM   #1224
EddieT is offline EddieT  United States
diyAudio Member

I wish these forums had a like button.
Old Yesterday, 01:17 AM   #1225
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys.
The waveguides are just cheapy $4 lampshades 25cm in diameter.
They're surprisingly okay to work with; the plastic doesn't tear and they're quite flexible, easy to cut and sand. I used to make holes for the screws to pass through but now just cut out small squares with the inner side open because you don't see the holes anyway.
Today Im trying different inductors, to bring the upper level for the woofer no higher than 115Hz. I think a bit much voice is getting through to the woofers at 250Hz cutoff and they don't do voice that well seemingly. Hopefully the MA 7MS will delve down that low. They are in their own little enclosures within the cabinet, which is otherwise sealed.
Im quite enjoying these and they're very easy to make; will create some nicer circles for the baffle at some point as those were just ones that were hanging around.
Old Yesterday, 01:59 AM   #1226
diyAudio Member

PVC elbow prices could be bad in the US. Home Depot wants ~$400 for one 12" elbow. https://www.homedepot.com/p/DURA-12-...-120/203224395
Old Yesterday, 02:28 AM   #1227
diyAudio Member

That's insane pricing. I paid nothing like that for mine, around $100 each if memory serves. Factor in minimal labour costs too. It's especially silly given how cheap oil is at present.
Old Yesterday, 02:34 AM   #1228
diyAudio Member

The low pass cutoff fogure of 115hz sounds much better too. I just happened to have a pair of 5.6mh inductors on hand.
  Reply to this post

XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order BandpassHide this!Advertise here!