Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wide-range wireless self-powered speaker cabinet
Wide-range wireless self-powered speaker cabinet Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2015, 05:18 AM   #1
Zootalaws is offline Zootalaws  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Wide-range wireless self-powered speaker cabinet

After years of mucking around making things (badly) out of wood, I have invested time and effort in a 8x4 CNC router.

With that done, I am looking to make a cabinet that suits a full-range driver.

But... (and please, purists close your ears and eyes - it ain't going to be pretty!) I want to make some Bluetooth speakers with some sort of built-in amplifier (Class T, TPA3100D?)

I have the electronics side sorted - for the wireless and MCU side, at least. What I am looking for is a good cheap amp/driver/cabinet combo that I can make a set of reasonably-easily-transported speakers.

There are some other provisos... I live in the wilds of SE Asia - there are no hardware suppliers here that sell anything other than basic house-wiring cable, big nails and 4" screws. But, we do have good-quality hardwood ply and MDF by the ton, for about US$25 a sheet of 19mm.

Everything I make, other than the timber, will have to be sourced overseas and shipped in.

I can make things with circuit boards, so kitset amplifiers don't scare me. I have an extensive hardware, electronics and data workshop, so I am pretty well set up to make speakers.

What I don't have is a background in audio - specifically in speaker design or a lot of experience with different sorts of amplifiers.
Old 20th January 2015, 01:21 PM   #2
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

This is an excellent sounding, cheap, easy cabinet. Lot's of happy builds in this thread.

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's

The 0.40x is very portable and the 0.53x is a bit bigger but very full sounding and loud. Inside, Francisco Perez mounted a TPA3110D2 inside, you can easily add the BT and MCU.

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

Last edited by xrk971; 20th January 2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 21st January 2015, 12:41 AM   #3
Zootalaws is offline Zootalaws  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

That's great, thanks X!

We can't get foamboard here, but no doubt 6mm MDF will do, with some damping.
Old 21st January 2015, 04:29 AM   #4
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

The above was made with plywood I think. Recent models built by Sabaspeed were MDF and painted they looked great.

Wide-range wireless self-powered speaker cabinetHide this!Advertise here!