Let's hear it for Big speakers

Do you prefer BIG speakers ?

• I prefer BIG speakers and darn it, I'll find space for them in my house

Votes: 124 83.2%
  • I don't prefer big speakers

Votes: 25 16.8%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've designed and built speakers of different sizes. I like them all. I have some desktop speakers (Martello), some small floor standers (Martello-2), a pair of MA10.3 Pencils, several Foster FE127 Onkens, and a big Open Back Box with an audio Nirvana 15". I've got a few commercial speakers too.

But after years of exploring my options, I gotta admit, the big speakers just seem to do things better.

My favourite: The Big'un - A Large Mono Loudspeaker

I define a big speaker as something with at least an 8" driver, preferably 12" to 15". It won't fit on a desk, it won't fit on a stand, it needs to sit on the floor. It needs no supporting subwoofer. You probably had to treat your spouse to a fancy restaurant dinner to even broach the subject of installing it in the house. Your friends are jealous of it. And the driver is mounted in a baffle that is of order 2 foot wide by 4 foot high, maybe even larger. It very likely has good bass and strong dynamics. It might be OB, a Horn, a TL or a Baffle - but it is a Big speaker :cool:

Last edited:
My best are a pair of 15" two ways. Beyma 15P1200Nd, crossed to EV DH1a compression drivers at 1.2kHz, LR4.
Cabinet is ~70L tuned ~45Hz.

Dynamics to die for, and enough detail to keep me happy. Not technically a single-driver full-range, but not exactly small.

Chris

Planet10 'EmKens' with Eminence Beta12lta.
The 12lta is a 'wide-ish range' cheap PA unit and needs a tweeter, the driver cab combo does its very best with bass but really could do with some support 'down low', though finishing the internals of the 'Kens should come first, which will lead to more tinkering with the drive units........
I've had them a couple of years now and I still enjoy their virtue of No Crossover :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Horns, the bigger the better! :)

Here are the Trynergies - full range tractrix Synergy.
439379d1411195658-presenting-trynergy-full-range-tractrix-synergy-tractrix-part-2m-stereo.jpg

Bigun: big'uns reminds me of Al Bundy's remarks about the content of his "girlie" magazines. Perceval: Thanks for playing wizard.

Those are operated with a passive -biamp @ 500hz with 80wpc setup for each. Woofers are parallel wired.

All "dated" perhaps in terms of what is considered to be essential today, but they aren't going anywhere 'till I drop dead. Hope for at least another 20+ years.:) Then let my daughters fight over them... (wishful thinking)

I don't necessarily think in terms of big or small speakers; rather what will be a realistic set of compromises for a given set of requirements. Assuming all other things are equal, bigger is better; trouble is, all other things rarely are equal unless you can throw huge engineering resources at the problem, as Olson was able to do 60 years ago. So, back to those compromises again & which you're willing to make.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.