Let's hear it for Big speakers

Do you prefer BIG speakers ?

• I prefer BIG speakers and darn it, I'll find space for them in my house

Votes: 124 83.2%
  • I don't prefer big speakers

Votes: 25 16.8%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
... Just wondering if there's anyone else than me that has more than 200 liters internal volume worth of speakers, per channel, in the daily use setup.

Well, my current woofer cabs were cut down from [3] ~30 ft^3 to 'only' [2] ~20 ft^3 and the horns have shrunk to just [2] ~24" x 11" x 22" from [3] ~44" x 24" x 38" + [3] ~60" x 34" x 48" corner cabs, so a significant reduction over time, but still humongous/ridiculous/implies some sort of emotional 'shortcoming' by most folk's standards, especially single females till they got to hear their favorite music on them, at which time it typically became 'their' dance hall.

That said, except for two very brief periods, I've had decent size to huge rooms and [mostly/all] corner loaded in houses with large enough yards to not normally have any neighbor loudness issues, so of course a luxury many here don't have and may never will due to where they live.

Oh well, near-field systems done right can be pretty impressive too.

GM

I have a pair of PI 3 that I built a few years ago. 12” Eminence Definimax 4012HO and BC250 (not exactly sure of that model no.) mounted on Wayne Parhams Horns. It’s a big heavy speaker and I built it because I was not happy with other stuff I tried. I felt that the narrow baffle speakers I had been building didn’t have the needed fullness in the upper bass/ lower mids.
The wider baffled PI3s were a huge surprise to me. The fullness I was looking for was there, along with astounding dynamics from the 95db efficiency and the pro drivers. I have never heard them flinch with anything I’ve fed them. The lack of strain and compression at higher levels is one of the big bonuses for going with a larger more efficient design. Also you don’t need 250w amplifiers to drive them.

i prefer big boxes, but the drivers don't have to be to big. I have a diy WAW setup now that i love for the sound with an 10" scanspeak subwoofer and and a 6.5" Mark Audio FR driver in self designed and build boxes, and especially the sub is big (50cm wide, 80cm high and about 47cm deep). the top is in a seperte ported box (i used it long before i had the sub). The crossover is a passive 1st order one at about 180hz (also own design).

Big boxes give a way more natural bass, and if you want it go low (i do), the box need to be big (in ported config) or you need a lot of eq (wich i hate). so this is my actual setup. The amp used is a not-diy Prima Luna tube amp but this is much better than anything i had before (diy or bought).

I'm also a fan of older big speakers like Altec VOTT or Tannoy Dual Concentric speakers. Not of the small boxes that everybody now uses.

Attachments

• pl.jpg
    pl.jpg
    1,006.3 KB · Views: 144
Or maybe the Beolabs creators where looking at PA arrays and stacks? :)

Edit:
Added some pictures, not pretty, but woodwork is one of the many things I am no good at.

The Visualization settings i made for the VST plugin(Winamp) in ca 2003.

Attachments

• IMG_4475.jpg
    IMG_4475.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4474.jpg
    IMG_4474.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.