Any difference between guitar-cab speakers and home hi-fi speakers?

Guitar speakers usually have a rolled off treble response and have a Q factor suited for open-back boxes. Otherwise, I would generally assume that a hi-fi speaker represents an upgrade in sound quality over most guitar speakers - which isn't necessarily what you want as some guitar speakers are expected to add wanted distortion when pushed.

The "classic" (12") electric guitar speaker has a frequency response that drops pretty sharply above ~4khz and a resonance of about 80hz. As long as you're not trying to emulate any particular sound, you can certainly use whatever pleases you.

In terms of construction, guitar speakers have paper cones, accordion surrounds, limited xmax and are high-efficiency.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Efficiency will be the biggest issue. A home speaker cannot deliver the kind of raw output required in a band situation - even practice.

Also the guitar speaker driver has a peculiar response, and all of them are slightly different. Almost all the expensive ones have a sharp peak in the middle of the response curve, which gives them their characteristic 'sound'. The location of the peak is designed and voiced into the speaker.

Here is a Legend 12" FR:

EminenceLegend1258Graph.jpg

And here is, say, a 'regular' 12" home woofer:

12-SB34SWNRX-S75-6-chart.gif

Finally, a 12" 'fullrange':

PHY-PH-2_large.gif

From the evidence I see/hear, they are different.

Home speakers are for reproduction. That requires particular characteristics.

Guitar speakers are for performance. That too requires particular characteristics.

I would guess the two sets of characteristics are completely different. Well in one respect they are the same. They both turn electrical energy into sound energy. They are transducers.

Both hi-fi and guitar people are avid defenders of their dames but, as Andrew mentions, we are talking about transducers and I was trying to understand how different are they after all.

Ok, I've learned that they "sound" differently but cant a hi-fi speaker be EQed, whether electronically or by playing with enclosure size, to sound like a guitar speaker at low power conditions (like 2watt)?

Ok, I've learned that they "sound" differently but cant a hi-fi speaker be EQed, whether electronically or by playing with enclosure size, to sound like a guitar speaker at low power conditions (like 2watt)?

Yes. Plenty of guitarists will jam at home through some sort of digital preamp that has a speaker simulation function, hooked up to nearfield monitors or even headphones.

The speaker simulator is basically a fancy EQ with lots of peaks and dips. From a DIY perspective, I've had decent results myself by just tweaking a digital parametric EQ to match the frequency response of a mic'd up speaker. Or if you have something that can do convolution, you can load a "cabinet impulse".

The trouble starts when you want to achieve some volume on stage. A flat speaker needs a lot of power to equal the guitar speaker's huge midrange peak. Though again, some guitarists nowadays will use a digital preamp plugged into the PA.

Aside from drivers' sensitivity and tonality - often a major part of the sound a player is looking for, wouldn't the dynamic attack and peaks be an issue of concern when using domestic music playback components?

It makes perfect sense to use high power handling pro gear in a domestic environment, but except under very restrained operation, the reverse might not be such a good idea?

Guitar speakers are more or less based on 1930's full range radio speakers. That being the case, it's not totally unreasonable that some of them may sound reasonably good playing back music. However, after decades of optimizing and exaggerating various colorations that were originally accidental, it might not be a hifi experience. Ultra-fi, maybe...

It should be pointed out that the super premium guitar speakers sold by JBL and EV, et al, were essentially only slightly modified versions of their hifi woofers, and can be quite good for hifi.

Yes, but not all home audio DIY speaker components are built with the power handling capacity of the consumer products of Pro lines such as you mention.

For example, I doubt my current favorite FR driver (MA Alpair MAOP7) would survive long being used even for "practice" playback with an electric or acoustic guitar.
I don't happen to have their individually measured T/S specs at hand, but assuming they're close to the stock A7.3, their light weight ceramic treated cones, x-max of 4mm and power handling of 20W nominal don't in my mind make them a candidate for the type of duty that I've seen in my son's solo and band's jam sessions.

Try to tell a practicing musician to restrain themselves to protect their playback gear - "whaddya mean there's no eleven on this puppy?"

Yes, but not all home audio DIY speaker components are built with the power handling capacity of the consumer products of Pro lines such as you mention.

Oh for sure I agree with you regarding the OP's original question. Bad idea. At best, home speakers might be used for some very low level bedroom practicing, but they are unlikely to sound good.

Try to tell a practicing musician to restrain themselves to protect their playback gear - "whaddya mean there's no eleven on this puppy?"

:D True 'nuff more often than not. I find that better musicians OTOH tend to be very aware of their volume levels.

FWIW, my main guitar speakers now are vintage Eminence alnico 12" full ranges pulled from an old Kustom PA tower, but that's not quite equivalent to a Vifa 5" midbass or what not...

Last edited:
I do have a blues deville 2X12 and a blues junior 1x12 and I always liked the idea to make a pair of speakers using the same kind of drivers for HiFi.

I believe large drivers give better sound quality.

I am looking for a driver (10 or 12") to cover the low and mid frequencies and if its not not very expensive I could put 2 together in a sealed enclosure.
Do you have any experience to recommend?

Thank you

Joined 2008
Paid Member
You need to look for flat response, guitar speakers tend to have the HF rising, it is used as a part of the sound. The same goes for the low end - the Qts should not bee too high, otherwise there will be a hump in midbass (that especially metalheads like myself like). And watch for xmax specification as well.

I am awaiting two Beyma Liberty 8s, which are JBL E120 clones. They are flat amd efficient, but maye too low Qts for sealed enclosure.