Any difference between guitar-cab speakers and home hi-fi speakers?

Ah ok we are talking about the same think for the amps. I am not using beamp actually.
Iwill try this effect with the pipes. and yes if you but a horn in the back you will have a pick in bass which they need.
But still I believe those driver need a woofer for lower that 100Hz
Which 12" sub did you try with?
My 4" faital (I have 2 pairs), are of 30 watts each with 91dB sencitivity with which sub would they feet?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have an active Magnat Betasub30A I bought secondhand for 40 Eur. I run it in mono below ca 90 Hz feeding it with the same line level signal as the amp. The pipes are run full range. Not ideal by any means, but for low level listening it is perfectly fine and gives the sense of bass needed.

The passive subwoofers I am building for the large system will be PA style ca 40 Hz tuned 100l bass reflex boxes, each with a RCFLF15X401 - these have 11 mm x-max and can handle more than 1kW in that box safely.

By the way, I found out that if a loudspeaker's -3fB frequency is 40 Hz, then I am more than happy with the bass performance in the rooms around my house.

High power drivers are usually professional drivers. Many of them are not good for HiFi use because they made of "hard" materials to perform in loud volumes for many hours.
Large HiFi drivers need to perform also in low volumes with very good quality, therefore are made flexible materials. In the HiFi market we rarely see large drivers, they are not commercially popular. Maybe that is why it is difficult to find .
As I am not an expert I should look into the following basic factors in order to choose the right driver for HiFi high quality system are the following :
Fs should be very low to give the bass sounds Bellow 50Hz
Sensitivity Above 94dB to get high efficiency with low power amps
Qms should be high above 6, means that the material inside the driver have low mass and so easy to move when played in low volumes
Xmas between 4 and 6mm? large
Qts should be low around 0,4 inorder to have good quality driver that produce good low frequencies with small enclosures
Vas in air volume indicate the stiffness of the driver and so optimal volume of the enclosure Related to qts (!!). Low stiffness is good for HiFi large drivers therefore large Vas.. should I say 22liters (enclosure should be more than 22Liters) - for 12" or 15" hifi driver with Fs35Hz and Qts 0.4

What do you think

Packing large drivers into a small volume seems convenient, but I'm wary of all the compromises. Like high MMS to bring the tuning frequency down, reduced VAS (which brings it back up) to keep the coil centred, reduced sensitivity from having to push the higher mass, increased amplifier power, increased stresses in the motor, increased inductance and coil mass and diameter to keep itself cool... Taken to the extreme, you gain a subwoofer, but lose a woofer with decent mid-range capability.

So I'm looking at Eminence Alpha 12A's, which would be perfect for a big 2-way if only the magnet had more grunt for sealed boxes. To get bass extension, it looks like they need either 100L+ or to be used as a dipole. For low power it would probably be extremely clean and offer a really nice mid-range too -- looking at the low cone mass.

The Beta 12A-2 looks a bit more versatile in sealed boxes, and the Deltalite II 2025 looks even better with the lower inductance, and the Basslite S2012 somewhere in between.

In my comparisons I'm basically ignoring frequency response at higher frequencies, because I'd be shaping it with active XOs anyway. A Linkwitz transform could be used to augment bass roll-off, but I don't like that idea. Every 3 dB of boost is a doubling of power.

Can a speaker from an average/good home hi-fi system be used as a guitar speaker?

No crossovers, just replacing one for the other, after building n open back enclosure.

Are they mechanically or physically different?
Guitar speaker cabinets must be very rugged because they are moved so often, and heavily built if they house high-power speakers. Of course some players use low power speakers and put a mic right in front and run the signal into the Public Address system.

Another factor is that home stereo speakers generally will aim at a pretty even frequency response, while with guitar speakers pretty much anything goes. As long as it sounds good to the player, the numbers don’t matter so much. Formants can sound really, really good in certain keys!