Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jordan Eikona 2 Designs
Jordan Eikona 2 Designs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2014, 12:59 AM   #1
Steven-H is offline Steven-H  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Jordan Eikona 2 Designs

All,
Thanks to Colin for setting up a group buy,I should have a pair of Eikona 2s in the next week or so. Initially planning on the larger MLTL enclosure on the Jordan website, I began researching and but found Pete's MLTQWP design interesting..but it was designed around the JX25 - so may need to be tweeked. What other desigs are out there ? Ill be driving the speakers with a tubelab 300b set.

Thanks
Steve
Old 8th December 2014, 03:00 AM   #2
chrisb is online now chrisb
diyAudio Member

With a driver of this pedigree, I always find it preferable to use an enclosure design optimized for the combination of its TS parameters, and any constraints you might have re dimensons, etc.

As a very generalized rule, I've found the more modern class of MLTLs to outperform older school designs. That said, I've yet to hear any Jordans since the JX92S group buy of several years ago.

Our frequent DIY build poster, and Jordan spokesperson would probably have the best suggestions here.
Old 8th December 2014, 11:11 AM   #3
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Chris - thanks for the plug!

I agree with Chris that the enclosure design should be optimised for the driver, so Peter Millet's design for the JX92 might not suit the Eikona 2.

I don't use Martin's spreadsheets so I suggested Steve post here for input from the local MathCad experts. The two MLTL designs on our site for the Eikona 2 come from the more recent generation spreadsheets but weren't designed by us.
Old 11th February 2015, 01:16 PM   #4
Richidoo is offline Richidoo  United States
diyAudio Member

Is anybody listening to their Eikona2s yet from this group buy? I'd like to read some honest reviews of it before deciding to try it. I can't find much on the web. Thanks
Rich
Old 11th February 2015, 01:18 PM   #5
Steven-H is offline Steven-H  United States
diyAudio Member

Not yet....I've been slammed at work. Here's a quick pic of my progress:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th February 2015, 03:56 PM   #6
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

We have a couple of comments on our Facebook page.

www.facebbook.com/ejjordandesigns

Hopefully as more get listening they'll post here.
Old 11th February 2015, 07:03 PM   #7
knarfor is online now knarfor  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm about to design an enclosure for my pair.

But until I nail down a design, and once I get my amp up and running (hopefully this week), I'm going to stick my Eikonas in my old Jordan VTLs to get a feel for them.

Speaking of designs:

As I was experimenting with enclosure designs, I decided to try running the numbers for the MLTL-38 design (fromthe EJ Jordan website) through my MJK worksheets. I could not replicate the designer's results. Anyone else having that issue?
Old 13th February 2015, 02:11 AM   #8
Jim Griffin is online now Jim Griffin  United States
diyAudio Member

This afternoon I modeled three variations on a MLTL for the Jordan Eikona 2 driver with Martin King’s MLTL simulation spread sheet. The procedure with the MJK spread sheets is that you are the optimizer. Thus you vary the physical configuration (length, driver location, port location, port diameter and length, cross-section area of the line, and stuffing density) to yield a desired goal. My objective was to attain a flat system frequency response. Some inherent knowledge of MLTL variables and the simulation assist the user as they navigate through the effort.

For this example the three cases are all straight transmission lines and have inside tube lengths of 40”, 35”, and 30”. Most MLTLs are floor standing speakers so you wish to have the driver located so that sitting listeners are near ear height in the room. For each case in this study the driver is spaced at 1/5th times the length of the line down from the inside top. Thus the spacing is 8”, 7”, and 6” for this study. The port is centered two inches above bottom of the tube in all cases. I iterated and established the internal cross-sectional area (product of the width and depth) of the MLTL cases at 56 square inches. To smooth the response of the MLTL I used a stuffing density of 0.75 pounds per cubic foot for the filling material. Iteration of the port diameter and length established 2” diameter by 6” long as sufficient.

The specified stuffing fills the volume from the top of the enclosure to 3 inches below the driver. Meniscus Audio offers flat sheets of a bonded Dacron which is 0.75 pounds per cubic foot so this would take the guess work out of stuffing the enclosure.

I have attached a file that shows the system frequency response of my simulation efforts. Notice that the responses are all excellent and extend below 30 Hz before their 3 dB down low end response. The 40” line extends to below 24 Hz, the 35” line extends to below 26 Hz, and the 30” line goes to about 28 Hz. Any of these examples would provide exceptional performance. The Eikona is an impressive driver!
Now I always state the MLTL (and any ported box for that matter) will perform well for most musical situations but their performance is limited by the linear Xmax of the driver. These aren’t subwoofers and shouldn’t be expected to be used as such.

Finally, as with all of the Martin King simulation results, they are not for commercial usage without licensing from him.

Jordan Eikona 2 Responses.pdf
Old 13th February 2015, 02:34 AM   #9
Andrewbee is online now Andrewbee  Jamaica
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jim for those designs.
That really is very impressive performance from any driver more so from one as "small" as the Jordan Eikona 2.

This leads me to to questions.

Have you heard the Eikona 2 and if so any comments on the sound.

Are they available in the U.S.A. ?

Thanks

Andrew
Old 13th February 2015, 03:15 AM   #10
knarfor is online now knarfor  United States
diyAudio Member

They're available in the US. You can get them directly through EJ Jordan's website.

I listened to my Eikona 2's today in the Jordan VTL.

They are neutral and smooth from top to bottom and offer surprising punch, especially considering they are not at all "broken in". I also own a pair of Eikona drivers (the first model), which were exceptional. These are an improvement over them.

Symbols, voices, and piano all sound remarkably natural and free of any harshness or sibilance. I just listened to Maxim Vengerov's recording of the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto, best violin sound I have ever heard.

Jordan Eikona 2 DesignsHide this!Advertise here!