Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hypercube Loudspeakers
Hypercube Loudspeakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2014, 05:24 PM   #11
gmad is offline gmad  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Ticovski,

You should find instructions by following the second link from my first post. I know this is going to cause a lot of eyeball rolling but internal volume seems to be less of a factor with this shape. I can't comment personally on that since I have only made one pair. I followed the advice of the inventors and just made it as small as possible.
--Greg
Old 18th November 2014, 05:52 PM   #12
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Hypercube Loudspeakers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
'GM' is Greg Montford
Monfort

dave
Old 18th November 2014, 06:27 PM   #13
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
-flatter frequency response
FR is a function of the driver across the majority of its BW, notwithstanding box alignment and edge diffraction, for which latter a sphere is optimal per Olson unless a true IB is available (good luck in this universe).

Quote:
-near omnidirectional or wide cardioid dispersion
As above.

Quote:
-increased efficiency across the range of the driver (upwards of 3 db)
A remarkable feat, given that efficiency (η0) is rated in percentage, not decibels. To significantly alter efficiency across the entire audible BW the box must severely affect the suspension compliance, to say nothing of the resonant profile of the cone substrate. If this is the case, it should immediately be binned and substituted for something competently designed. Sensitivity will of course not increase except in line with what would be expected from vented or sealed loading of a given type / alignment and diffraction behaviour.

Quote:
-faster decay or improved transient response especially in the lower portion of the spectrum
Relative to which enclosures of identical Vb, alignment and damping? Transient response is directly related to BW covered. Impulse response / group delay is a function of box Q &c.

Quote:
-lower harmonic distortion (6db less in my findings)
Relative to which enclosures of identical Vb, alignment and damping?

Last edited by Scottmoose; 18th November 2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 18th November 2014, 06:45 PM   #14
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Hypercube Loudspeakers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
X, diyAudio 'GM' is Greg Montford. A big Altec person.
I suspected it was not the same GM as the glowing review was uncharacteristic.
Old 18th November 2014, 06:52 PM   #15
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Whole thing smacks of pseudoscience.
Old 18th November 2014, 07:43 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Being generous, I like to think it's a joke. If it's not a joke, then it is of course utter quackery of the first order. This for example is priceless:

Quote:
Given equal mass and equal energy we could only hypothesize (with apologies to Newton & Einstein) that the either:

The rate at which time passes in the vicinity of the enclosure differed over a radius from the center of the enclosure (which could potentially do interesting things to the speed of light's status as an inviolable constant).

- OR -

The material of the woofer cone lost its inertia but not its mass(weight = mass in a 1G field). (and Newton spins in his grave with relativistic radial velocity).

Last edited by Scottmoose; 18th November 2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 18th November 2014, 09:10 PM   #17
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
R.I.P.

Hi,

Pseudotechnobabble BS of the highest (lowest ?) order.

Why do real science when fiction is more fun ?

rgds, sreten.
Old 18th November 2014, 09:28 PM   #18
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Being generous, I like to think it's a joke. If it's not a joke, then it is of course utter quackery of the first order.
Why can't it be both?
Old 18th November 2014, 10:05 PM   #19
gmad is offline gmad  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Scott,

I hope you won't give up on this so soon. I have observed increased SPL with the hypercubes relative to the equivalent volume sealed box. With the 64hz distortion test I performed I had to reduce the signal level slightly (~1db) being sent to the amplifier when powering the hypercube in order to match the SPL of the sealed box. The test data that was published was done with the mic closer to the drivers than the pictures show (~2" from the phase plug vs. ~6" in the pics). I am assuming right now that the difference in efficiency will be slightly more when measured from a bit further away. The hypercube speaker is made from 6mm acrylic and is unstuffed. The sealed box is made from 12mm plywood and has open-cell foam inside. The two enclosures are of equivalent volume and happen to be almost exactly the recommended sealed volume (Q of 0.7). --Greg
Old 18th November 2014, 10:41 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I can't give up on it. To do that would require me to take it seriously in the first place.

Hypercube LoudspeakersHide this!Advertise here!