Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mark audio alpair 7p vs alpair 7.3
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2015, 04:36 PM   #151
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by needtubes View Post
Currently not damped due to lack of materials.
Old socks and christmas jumpers work ok
Old 6th February 2015, 07:20 PM   #152
acstcwrfrmn is offline acstcwrfrmn  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Yes indeed, modern equivalents thereof, and in theory, a lot more powerful / flexible.

I believe it. Fortunately, being perpetually broke, I never got financially hit (sighs with relief). Besides, my formative years were spent with a big old Rotel receiver, replete with very effective tone controls, and I acquired a great appreciation of being able to dial in a little requisite EQ. Especially useful with some early CDs, many of which were appalling, from

-Duff early analogue to digital converters in the studio (and many of them were)
-Engineers experienced with vinyl but not digital, which has a completely different set of compromises / characteristics -especially in the early days
-CDs made using vinyl masters & EQ'd as such, with predictably catastrophic results.
To name just a few of the more obvious causes.
Anyone have Alpair 7P (paper) updates? Testing, measuring, extended listening sessions? I agree tone controls are handy. Even if you have "perfected" your speaker design and room placement and listening position; there is still the matter of "crappy" sounding recordings. I have many CDs that greatly benefit from use of tone controls (even very recently made recordings sometimes suffer with bad tonal balance, etc.). Although not audiophile purist; I'm glad to have tone control. It doesn't solve the root cause/problem but it does make bad recordings more listenable (well, to my ears anyway!).
Old 7th February 2015, 10:41 AM   #153
BYRTT is offline BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acstcwrfrmn View Post
Anyone have Alpair 7P (paper) updates? Testing, measuring, extended listening sessions? .....
Hi keep an eye this thread Designing of a FAST system from scratch... member chops ordered a fine package including A7P and measurement gear if we lucky he also share some data.
Old 2nd February 2016, 10:53 AM   #154
kevner1954 is offline kevner1954  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the Mark Audio 7p in my MDF FHMK3 . Have been breaking them in for about 2 months now . they just keep getting better and better. I did notice after a full day of music playing through them that they are much better than if you just listen for a few hours . So maybe after a longer breakin or a full day of playing after a good breakin , you should judge them then . heating them up as it were. All this can also be from not leaving the tube equipement on also. Regardless The 7p is a terrific little driver!
Old 18th March 2016, 09:53 PM   #155
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevner1954 View Post
I have the Mark Audio 7p in my MDF FHMK3 . Have been breaking them in for about 2 months now . they just keep getting better and better. I did notice after a full day of music playing through them that they are much better than if you just listen for a few hours . So maybe after a longer breakin or a full day of playing after a good breakin , you should judge them then . heating them up as it were. All this can also be from not leaving the tube equipement on also. Regardless The 7p is a terrific little driver!
Would you describe these as neutral sounding? Has the harshness or glare gone after considerable break-in? Some people have said they have some issues with this especially on the very high end; others have said the break-in just takes longer (then everything seems to settle out). I am thinking of buying just 1 piece to play around with. I have also considered just biting the bullet and buying a matched pair ENABLE from Planet 10. Have any of you heard the OEM vs. the ENABLE versions (in a direct comparison)? Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 05:38 PM   #156
kevner1954 is offline kevner1954  United States
diyAudio Member

as I now have them for a considerably longer time now , I doubt there is a better driver out there for the same price.
Old 20th March 2016, 07:47 PM   #157
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acstcwrfrmn View Post
I have also considered just biting the bullet and buying a matched pair ENABLE from Planet 10.
I have given all the standard colour A7PeN another 1,000 or so hrs of low level break-inů they'll still need more at real playing levels but it is hopeful the extra hrs help.

dave
Old 21st March 2016, 02:24 PM   #158
diyAudio Member

OK, thanks guys! I will get these eventually; the 7P (paper) just went to the top of my wishlist!

Mark audio alpair 7p vs alpair 7.3Hide this!Advertise here!