Mark audio alpair 7p vs alpair 7.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Largely because tone controls fell out of favour in the 1980s and have never recovered. Manufacturers of consumer electronics didn't shed a tear, since it saved them money in design & manufacturing, and up to a point, DIY has tended to follow this 'purity' / eradication of 'unnecessary' circuitry in the signal path of the preamplifier. Well implemented tone controls were a very good idea, just as adjustable output impedance (very common up to the 1960s) was for many of the speakers of the era.

And for that matter, many of the latest generation of DSP front ends, such as AVRs, or high end computer sound cards, media player software includes various degrees of Dolby EQ, loudness compensation, etc that might be considered analogous to old school tone controls.

Of all of that type of controls on mainstream audio gear I'd consumed during the first 40yrs of this hobby, the only one that I used was the very nice variable loudness compensation on a couple of Yamaha pieces in the mid 70's. Once I went to separates, they were either absent, or certainly never invoked.

You're quite right that the implicit message for the "serious audiophiles" ( a fraternity of which I'd now like to disavow past membership) even well before the 80s, was that tone controls were just a band-aid, and the real cure is, of course, an equipment upgrade - which was a 2 decade long carousel ride that I can still remember "fondly"

And for that matter, many of the latest generation of DSP front ends, such as AVRs, or high end computer sound cards, media player software includes various degrees of Dolby EQ, loudness compensation, etc that might be considered analogous to old school tone controls.

Yes indeed, modern equivalents thereof, and in theory, a lot more powerful / flexible.

Of all of that type of controls on mainstream audio gear I'd consumed during the first 40yrs of this hobby, the only one that I used was the very nice variable loudness compensation on a couple of Yamaha pieces in the mid 70's. Once I went to separates, they were either absent, or certainly never invoked.

You're quite right that the implicit message for the "serious audiophiles" ( a fraternity of which I'd now like to disavow past membership) even well before the 80s, was that tone controls were just a band-aid, and the real cure is, of course, an equipment upgrade - which was a 2 decade long carousel ride that I can still remember "fondly"

I believe it. Fortunately, being perpetually broke, I never got financially hit (sighs with relief). Besides, my formative years were spent with a big old Rotel receiver, replete with very effective tone controls, and I acquired a great appreciation of being able to dial in a little requisite EQ. Especially useful with some early CDs, many of which were appalling, from

-Duff early analogue to digital converters in the studio (and many of them were)
-Engineers experienced with vinyl but not digital, which has a completely different set of compromises / characteristics -especially in the early days
-CDs made using vinyl masters & EQ'd as such, with predictably catastrophic results.
To name just a few of the more obvious causes. :eek:

Back to the topic at hand...

I dropped my pair of Alpair 7P in some temporary boxes today. The boxes are ~9L bass reflex, tuned to ~58Hz, and are (admittedly) not very rigid. Unibox predicts an F3 of 52Hz and the drivers are already broken in (bought used), but I have essentially no bass. I have already checked that the polarity is correct. It is strange that my Alpair 6P produce considerably more bass. Is the problem just the poorly constructed box, or are the drivers just this bright?

Hm. I'll try to rig up a better box this weekend if my workload allows. The A7p cones don't even seem to move with bass notes upon close inspection. Perhaps they are not broken in after all?

The A6p's are in about 4.3L bass reflex, walls lined, but I forget the tuning. They sound surprisingly large. I can't bring myself to take them to my office, which was their original purpose. :eek:

The A7p cones don't even seem to move with bass notes upon close inspection. Perhaps they are not broken in after all?

That's a distinct possibility. They should go deeper than the 6p's in a 9L box.

The A6p's are in about 4.3L bass reflex, walls lined, but I forget the tuning. They sound surprisingly large. I can't bring myself to take them to my office, which was their original purpose. :eek:

Same here.:)

jeff

Well, couldn't stand to wait until the weekend to hear the A7p in earnest, so I threw together some larger, more rigid test enclosures. This time, they are around 15L, tuned to about 52Hz. Currently not damped due to lack of materials. Bass is certainly there now, so it was the boxes. They are still quite 'present', however. Will have to give these some more time tomorrow...

Yes indeed, modern equivalents thereof, and in theory, a lot more powerful / flexible.

I believe it. Fortunately, being perpetually broke, I never got financially hit (sighs with relief). Besides, my formative years were spent with a big old Rotel receiver, replete with very effective tone controls, and I acquired a great appreciation of being able to dial in a little requisite EQ. Especially useful with some early CDs, many of which were appalling, from

-Duff early analogue to digital converters in the studio (and many of them were)
-Engineers experienced with vinyl but not digital, which has a completely different set of compromises / characteristics -especially in the early days
-CDs made using vinyl masters & EQ'd as such, with predictably catastrophic results.
To name just a few of the more obvious causes. :eek:

Anyone have Alpair 7P (paper) updates? Testing, measuring, extended listening sessions? I agree tone controls are handy. Even if you have "perfected" your speaker design and room placement and listening position; there is still the matter of "crappy" sounding recordings. I have many CDs that greatly benefit from use of tone controls (even very recently made recordings sometimes suffer with bad tonal balance, etc.). Although not audiophile purist; I'm glad to have tone control. It doesn't solve the root cause/problem but it does make bad recordings more listenable (well, to my ears anyway!).

I have the Mark Audio 7p in my MDF FHMK3 . Have been breaking them in for about 2 months now . they just keep getting better and better. I did notice after a full day of music playing through them that they are much better than if you just listen for a few hours . So maybe after a longer breakin or a full day of playing after a good breakin , you should judge them then . heating them up as it were. All this can also be from not leaving the tube equipement on also. Regardless The 7p is a terrific little driver!

I have the Mark Audio 7p in my MDF FHMK3 . Have been breaking them in for about 2 months now . they just keep getting better and better. I did notice after a full day of music playing through them that they are much better than if you just listen for a few hours . So maybe after a longer breakin or a full day of playing after a good breakin , you should judge them then . heating them up as it were. All this can also be from not leaving the tube equipement on also. Regardless The 7p is a terrific little driver!

Would you describe these as neutral sounding? Has the harshness or glare gone after considerable break-in? Some people have said they have some issues with this especially on the very high end; others have said the break-in just takes longer (then everything seems to settle out). I am thinking of buying just 1 piece to play around with. I have also considered just biting the bullet and buying a matched pair ENABLE from Planet 10. Have any of you heard the OEM vs. the ENABLE versions (in a direct comparison)? Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.