A mini fullrange driver comparison - what should i build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am currently into small fullrange drivers. I want to build two small Transmission Lines for my pc.

So i compared three speakers:

1. Dayton Audio CE Series CE46P-4 1-7/8" Paper Full Range Driver
2. GRS 3FR-4 Full Range 3" Speaker Driver 4 Ohm
3. Peerless TC6WD02-04 Silver Series 2" Midrange

I simulated these drivers with Leonards Audio Transmission Line Software in different TMLs.

1. I simulated a TML with 12 cm² start and end-area and 100cm length. The predicted frequency response goes down to 80Hz. The driver is at 1/3 of the line (33cm from start).

2. I simulated a TML with 50cm² starting area decreasing to 35cm² end area. The line is 80cm long. The predicted frequency response goes down to ~85Hz. The driver is at ~1/3 of the line (28cm from start).

3. I simulated a TML with 20 cm² start and end-area with 100cm length. The predicted frequency response goes down to ~80Hz. The driver is at 1/3 of the line (33cm from start).

Does anyone here has experiences with these drivers? Which speaker would you choose?

Attachments

• Dayton_AudioCE46p_4_TML.JPG
    Dayton_AudioCE46p_4_TML.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 954
  • Dayton_AudioCE46p_4_FR.JPG
    Dayton_AudioCE46p_4_FR.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 945
  • GRS 3FR-4_TML.JPG
    GRS 3FR-4_TML.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 959
  • GRS 3FR-4_FR.JPG
    GRS 3FR-4_FR.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 965
  • Peerless TC6WD02-04_TML.JPG
    Peerless TC6WD02-04_TML.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 943
  • Peerless TC6WD02-04_FR.JPG
    Peerless TC6WD02-04_FR.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 158
Don't be throwing a Cheap low grade Chinese Amp into the fray.
The Lepai is complete and utter Junk .. in my (repeated :eek:) experiences, describing it charitably/politely ;).
I was convinced that my admittedly entry level Mark Audio drivers were worthless/bad performers, based on what they sounded like on several Leapis (All of which died in short order, just to add insult to injury)
Fitting a Real amp to the Mark Audio drivers was an epiphany.
Garbage in most certainly equals Garbage out.

Last edited:
This is very interesting to me as I'm about to do something similar.
I already have the vifa driver recommended by Mayuri in a small sealed box crossed over to a sub and I think it sounds great.
This system is moving so I'm going to build something new and was considering a small tl like you. I've recently acquired the hiwave driver recommended by sreten for this purpose and was looking at modelling it in something like the tabaq or lance speaker (both found on these forums).
Anyway the guy at spectrum audio (mayuri's link) seems to recommend both these drivers and stocks many more so it may be worth speaking to him. This assumes of course that you're happy to invest in more drivers ��

@sreten

The peerless needs a tweeter

Frequency Response: 150 to 20,000 Hz

The GRS has no specified response
Frequency Response: 135 to 16,000 Hz
Fs: 135Hz

The dayton is too small, low power, low sensitivity.

Because i only use this speakers as pc speakers or in quiet environments it's okay if it has low power. What do you mean with "low sensitivity"?.

Hi theKendo,
Look at the frequency response graph of the peerless here, it drops off a cliff after around 4000hz so obviously needs a tweeter.
http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/299-008s.pdf

as for the GRS there is no response graph available so it's impossible to tell how even the frequency response might be without buying one and measuring it - unless you can get a graph from parts express?

The dayton has low sensitivity which means it needs more power to reach decent volumes. This would be ok if it could use more power from your amplifier but it only has 3W power handling so it won't be able to play very loud.

If you want to get bass down to 60-70Hz from a full range driver in a tiny box (around 1.5litres) use a Dayton ND91-8 and two peerless 830878 passive radiators mounted either side of the box so it doesn't jump around and drive it with a Dayton DTA-120 ...and be amazed that that quality of music can come from such small boxes...

~90Hz is enough for me. And i don't want to spend 40$ of drivers per box. So it should be a cheap, small TL. And in the simulation it looks like it could work.
I played a little bit with the dayton and came out with a second version:

A TL with 20cm² start area (37.5cm long) and 14cm² end area (37.5cm long). The driver is at 1/3 third of 75cm (25cm). Lowest frequency is around ~88Hz but volume is 3db higher then in the first version.

The driver max. displacement at 1W is 1.2mm (Xmax of the driver is 1.3mm @PartsExpress). So it should be fine, shouldn't it?

Attachments

• Dayton_AudioCE46p_4_TML_v2.JPG
    Dayton_AudioCE46p_4_TML_v2.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 581
  • Dayton_AudioCE46p_4_FR_v2.JPG
    Dayton_AudioCE46p_4_FR_v2.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 571
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.