full range driver selection for DIY home system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

could you please help in selecting speaker drivers for home sound system (thinking of a stereo as of now) to be used with LCD tv for movies and playing mp3 songs from laptop/mobile?
After going through the forums I am thinking to go for a pair full range speaker drivers (thinking- simple to build, no crossover, less drivers so cost effective and so for same money may look for better quality ones, supposed to be sounding better than speakers with crossover).
Initially thought to go for Fostex Fe126en, as it has high efficiency 93db so small low power amplifier would be sufficient, and box designs available from the company itself and some other sites like frugal-horns, and it comes at about $58 per driver. But after reading more on the forums got confused, as some say its having nasty spikes on mid-high frequencies and not pleasant to hear.
Please help me in selecting a good speaker driver :

- how about Fe126en - $58 - 15w - 93db sensitivity

- how about mark audio alpair 7 - $85 - 20w - 85db sensitivity, but spec wise its looking similar to mark audio's CHR-70A 4inch -20w - 85db sensitivity or CHN70 4inch - 18w - 86db sensitivity but only costs $30 to $36. What is the difference with them with similar specs and big price difference
- how about fostex 6 inch Fe166en - $85 - 22w RMS- 94db sensitivity but seeing mixed responses on the forums
- how about dayton rs100 30w rms - 84db sensitivity and costs under $30.
- any other good drivers in this price range

1. Looking at few branded speaker home theater sets (like JBL) the frequency response was given about 40-20KHz (not sure how much minus (-)Db ). Can we get a similar frequency range from a single full range drivers in recommended enclosures or do we need to go for (FAST) getting good smaller full ranger (3inch or so) to cover mid bass, mids and highs and get a single sub-woofer for lower bass (using bi amp , no passive crossover)?

2. can the full range speakers be used directly with a amp or do we need to add any passive circuits for correcting its frequency response?

3. regarding music, i will be listening the mp3 songs only. Will they good with full rangers , as i have heard full ranges are very reveling and may not sound good if the source is not very good?

thanks and regards
S Sarath

This is my take, never experimented it anyhow.
Why don't you get Vifa TC9FD18-08, 3.5" Full Range* in a reflex VB = 7.5 L, FB = 85.0 Hz, and a sub on each side (under the FR) with it's own power amps under 100Hz crossover frequency (driver only 5W use high pass).
Subs drivers 6½” or 8” ?!
Iwai-Subwoofer link
What's the power/SPL you need?
*Price: $12.95

I'd say the room you intend to listen to also has a direct effect on what you need. Is it a small computer room, or the large living room?

A good driver will always show the limits of an 128 encoded MP3 file... whether you can listen to it and how your ears manage it is entirely up to you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.