Refoam Kit Needed, where?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I badly need a refoam kit for my Sony APM 500 speakers... I've tried EBAY, some companies from the US and no one seem to have then, only 1 seller based in the Ukraine of all places has a kit and that kit only uses poor materials for like £50 :(

Does anyone know of a place to order some from? I need both drivers reworked.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
In absence of a commercial solution and only choice is to toss drivers you might want to craft your own surrounds from thin EVA craft foam sheets. You can mold a half roll shape into them with a cylindrical shaped square donut made of metal. Warm up foam and form with heat gun. I have not done this myself but may try soon as I have old speaker a or worth the $40 price of new surrounds.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
In absence of a commercial solution and only choice is to toss drivers you might want to craft your own surrounds from thin EVA craft foam sheets. You can mold a half roll shape into them with a cylindrical shaped square donut made of metal. Warm up foam and form with heat gun. I have not done this myself but may try soon as I have old speaker a or worth the $40 price of new surrounds.

Fostex used rubber impregnated silk. Silk is available and you can buy liquid latex. Should be possbile to make a decent quality surround - just time consuming.

I'm pretty sure you can vacuum form EVA foam also. It should be doable with some pretty basic home brewed equipment and a home oven, but it would need some carved molds and a bit of dedication.

I guess I'll take a look at asking a company or person who does these refoams from scratch :/

The listing on the fleabay was this below, and the picture, just looks cheap n tacky from Russia.

Square Speaker Two level Foam Repair Kit for Sony APM Bass Driver

Lot is The kit consists of two pieces.

Lot is an industrial product.

Foam look as original product.

The experience of repair driver shows good results both in sound and appearance.

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 214
I guess I'll take a look at asking a company or person who does these refoams from scratch :/

The listing on the fleabay was this below, and the picture, just looks cheap n tacky from Russia.

Square Speaker Two level Foam Repair Kit for Sony APM Bass Driver

Lot is The kit consists of two pieces.

Lot is an industrial product.

Foam look as original product.

The experience of repair driver shows good results both in sound and appearance.

Just for curiosity I enlarged the picture.

What do you exactly find "cheap and tacky" ?

It looks exactly like a standard foam edge should, both in colour, texture and thickness.

What do you expect it to look like? :confused:

Besides it states "industrial product" ... do you prefer homemade? :confused:

do you prefer homemade? :confused:

Yes baked with potatoes in the oven :D

Naturally this statement about poor quality was silly or better said similar to pulling hairs from the head of a bold guy.
Most foam surround businesses accusing their competitors for distributing inferior products.
When what it really maters is the 100% compatibility.

I bet that there is no more than three factories making foam surrounds in China.
And every one just order stock from them.

Well, the whole point of this thread is to find replacement surrounds for a 30yr old proprietary shape - any product offered that is "guaranteed to fit" is better than nothing, I'd say.

Not everything on flea bay is a rip-off, and they don't work out, well, it could be time to upgrade.

I just don't trust getting anything from Russia :/

Do you prefer China?

By the way, Ukraine is not Russia.

Maybe you think America still leads the World, specially in Technology, and anything else is cr*p?

Well, wake up, in many areas there are new players in the game.

To begin with, America needs Russian rockets to launch its own Military satellites :eek:

US Too Dependent on Russian Rocket Engines, Experts Tell Lawmakers

We Argentines hire Ukrainian rockets to launch our own Sattellites :eek:

This is an Ukrainian ANTONOV 225 (the largest plane in the World) picking up our ARSAT for launching in October.
0011479388.jpg

Did we buy a US/UK/France/Germany/China one?

No , we made it in our own Satellite Factory:
0011478253.jpg

So I'd think it twice before despising an Ukrainian made foam edge :rolleyes:

Oh dear, big point to get the message across :D I meant more on, I have a decent amount of friends on EBAY which have used similar companies before, and all it has turned out to be is scammers advertising goods they simply do not have. But, good point on the power issues between the west and Ukraine :D but China still sells A LOT! of useless c**p :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.