Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PRV 5MR450-NDY for FAST/WAW applications
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2014, 05:12 AM   #11
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Default Polar & HD measurements

I took some measurements of this driver at 1 meter away in the OB shown on post 1 at the following angular positions: 0, 15, 30, 45, 60, 75, 90 degrees:

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is the distortion at various harmonics at about 92dB SPL:

Here is the nearfield (0.4 m) showing the phase linearity of the point source:

Here is the nearfield (0.4 m) showing harmonic distortion at 89 dB SPL:

Last edited by xrk971; 18th July 2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old 18th July 2014, 12:31 PM   #12
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Default Measurement in Slot Loaded OB FAST & Sound Clips

Measurement of this driver in the slot loaded OB (SLOB) Cheap and FAST OB, Literally using the Breeze Audio 2.1 class D TPA3116D2 amp with built in XO for sub and tops run fullrange (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/TPA31...ress_none_none). The perfect integration of the falloff at 340 Hz and the woofer channel was pure luck as the XO frequency on the amp is not adjustable - just relative gains. Anyhow, it measures pretty well given that this is raw with no DSP, no EQ. Straight from source to amp.

If you are interested in hearing what this driver sounds like, and want to hear the highs that it can resolve here are some sound clips (in mono):

diyAudio

diyAudio

diyAudio

Last edited by xrk971; 18th July 2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 19th July 2014, 08:10 AM   #13
anthonybisset is offline anthonybisset  Japan
diyAudio Member

This looks like a modern, flatter, better performing version of the JBL LE5-2 (now sought after). The LE5-2 was a favorite of Bruce Edgars for use in 400hz tractrix horns. Looking at XRK's measurements I'd be inclined to try it in most any alignment (with a woofer or sub). The recorded clips sound accurate to. The tonal balance in the second is frustratingly good...

I've been watching keeping an eye on full range offerings for years, this is the first that actually gets me excited.
Old 19th July 2014, 03:02 PM   #14
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybisset View Post
This looks like a modern, flatter, better performing version of the JBL LE5-2 (now sought after). The LE5-2 was a favorite of Bruce Edgars for use in 400hz tractrix horns. Looking at XRK's measurements I'd be inclined to try it in most any alignment (with a woofer or sub). The recorded clips sound accurate to. The tonal balance in the second is frustratingly good...

I've been watching keeping an eye on full range offerings for years, this is the first that actually gets me excited.
Good call on similarity with LE5, some data here from the web and 5MR450 does appear smoother with higher reach on top. It will be really interesting to see how the 5MR450-NDY looks in a good tractrix FLH.

Old 19th July 2014, 04:18 PM   #15
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

The JBL L26 that used the L5-2 driver, a 3-way with a 10in woofer was restored by Troels G ( JBL L26 restoration, ) and had a very complex XO all to get this response:

I think the response I got with the 5MR450 in a simple bi amped SLOB looks much better as a two way.
Old 19th July 2014, 08:45 PM   #16
FullRangeMan is offline FullRangeMan  Brazil
diyAudio Member

PRV people are former engineers from Selenium which was taken by JBL/Harman giant.
Old 19th July 2014, 11:35 PM   #17
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullRangeMan View Post
PRV people are former engineers from Selenium which was taken by JBL/Harman giant.
Selenium is good stuff, gives the PRV product line a little more heritage. It's interesting that more high sensitivity-high power fullrange point source drivers are not designed/used.
Old 20th July 2014, 01:11 AM   #18
FullRangeMan is offline FullRangeMan  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Selenium is good stuff, gives the PRV product line a little more heritage. It's interesting that more high sensitivity-high power fullrange point source drivers are not designed/used.
According my esperience since the 1970s, hi power fullrange drivers are as hi power amps, the sound are bad, hard, agresive mainly the mid/treble.
The harmonics seems are few too.
Old 20th July 2014, 02:41 AM   #19
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullRangeMan View Post
According my esperience since the 1970s, hi power fullrange drivers are as hi power amps, the sound are bad, hard, agresive mainly the mid/treble.
The harmonics seems are few too.
This one actually sounds pretty good. Kind of like a 95dB sensitive TC9FD in smoothness. Not harsh at all and the measurements show that. I have been listening to it all day and with quite a wide variety of music and it still sounds great. No hint of fatigue whatsoever. The distortion is also extremely low as you can see at 92dB its in the -50dB levels. The cone doesn't move much and this probably contributes to the low HD.

Last edited by xrk971; 20th July 2014 at 02:46 AM.
Old 21st July 2014, 11:58 AM   #20
anthonybisset is offline anthonybisset  Japan
diyAudio Member

Again, XRK's sound clips sounded really good to me. My first thought was how close the FR and smoothness of upper midrange into treble matched what I've heard from Funktion 1 Resolution 1.5 monitors. The 5MR450-NDY looks like an accurate very low fatigue speaker with great specs. Thinking I'll order a pair to play with this week!

PRV 5MR450-NDY for FAST/WAW applicationsHide this!Advertise here!