PRV 5MR450-NDY for FAST/WAW applications

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The PRVs are great drivers and they reach Lowther-esque levels of sensitivity without the Lowther funky response. The suspension is stiff and I don’t think it likes going below 500Hz without distorting. But above it is a fine driver with some raw power. If going DSP active crossover look into Harsch XO for most realistic transients.

I like the highs - they reach a pretty satisfying level. The 7kHz peak was not an issue, perhaps listen a bit off axis. If you have DSP is would be easy to fix.

Listen to the sound clips in the thread and judge for yourself.

I have still the horn, but do want to make it smaller, with a K-tube then it is 2 way and as such recalculate, however first I go start again the circlotron, it get,s equiped with a kind of adaptive autobias system, I have some help with it. see how low distortion is.

But now busy with the home, new floor and such.

O yeh and a happy newyear with a lot of audio fun.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_1861 Jan. 14 14.10.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1861 Jan. 14 14.10.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 345
Okay i got a pair of the 8 ohm version.. I have to say, these are very special drivers. They do what no other small full range driver does, they sound much better in a FAST system than a 3fe22, hivi B3s and i would say on par with a TG9FD overall - but these can do all of that much louder and more dynamically

I put them in a pair of sealed and stuffed boxes, actively crossed over at 300hz to a pair of peavey BW18's in 220L cabinets (no dsp)

The sensitivity of the drivers are about the same

I just can't stop listening to this system. I have played with lots of different speaker prototype designs and these are really a step above the rest

If I am being really picky, i can very slightly hear the tweeter breakup at 7-8khz, but i'll work on it and see what I can come up with. Maybe some blu tack on the cone, or a passive filter ala the Zaph B3S design. I would be perfectly happy with it as is, but perfection must be strived for

Attachments

• IMG_20190122_161619_HHT.jpg
    IMG_20190122_161619_HHT.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 318
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Oohms,
Thanks for the feedback on your experience with these! I really like them to and maybe more people would try them given your positive experience. You show it mounted in same cabinet as a paper cone tweeter - is that in a separate chamber or maybe sealed back? The big PRV lettering may also be a detraction for some but nothing a black Sharpie can't help to hide somewhat.

I currently have mine installed in a foam core Hypercube similar to the lower box shown here:

452408d1417865475-hyperfast-hypercube-based-2-way-fast-hypercube-photo-4.png

HyperFAST - a Hypercube Based 2-Way

I found a set of disposable speakers amongst my collection that i slightly enlarged the woofer hole of and used as sealed cabinets, so that sealed back tweeter is only there to fill the hole :D

My first idea was to put them in large glass bowls and put them on top of those cabinets - the hypercube idea would be a great option instead

The end goal is to make a large set of FAST cabinets, and I feel that a large pro audio woofer is the best match sound signature wise for these. 220L ported cabinets seem like the best option to get to 30hz but something that large becomes furniture

If i cut those boxes diagonally and stack them on top of each other (figuratively) I would end up with 900mm (35") wide baffles at the right angle to get good coverage for the little fullrange driver

After experimenting with 900mm wide baffles (35"), the sound has much improved. I think the width of it captures the entire spectrum of the 5MR450 resulting in a very coherent and balanced sound. It also fills the room very evenly

A pair of 15PR400's has been purchased and I plan on developing a passive crossover around 300hz - the biggest challenge of the build is the 200+ litre cabinet the bass driver needs

Making triangular cabinets solves a lot of problems
- Takes up a lot less space when placed in a corner
- Baffle edges continue to walls with minimal disruption - much better room integration
- Relatively easy to build and make look acceptable as furniture
- Can be covered by grille cloth if they need to blend into the room

My biggest concern is the spacing between the 2 drivers - I want to minimise floor bounce but at the same time i'm worried that they are too far apart

Attachments

• IMG_20190123_205956.jpg
    IMG_20190123_205956.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 5mr450 plan.jpg
    5mr450 plan.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 123
Here are some recordings of the temporary baffle setup pictured above (using a zoom H1)

Attachments

• 5MR450 barbados.zip
    829.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 5MR450 keith dont go.zip
    865.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 5MR450 money for nothing.zip
    828.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 5MR450 keith dont go2.zip
    831.4 KB · Views: 44
Hey fellas!
I’ve made progress towards My builds!
Parts are ordered and arrive first of the week.
I’m building the Denova 4cuft enclosures with Dayton 18” passive radiator with My JBL2235H down under.
Should allow Me to move the xover around a lot for the PRV’s up top!
Progress is a beautiful thing!

Yes Sir!
Well... I’m not sure where the xover will work best and this will hopefully open up the options.
I’d like to “show off” the motor section of the PRVs...
I don’t know what I’ll use or even if I’ll use a baffle for them.
The foam board shall be of plenty once they start coming together!
The enclosures arrived this morning “didn’t expect till Monday” so should know soon!

This is VERY similar to what I’m building!
My bottom end only requires 4cuft 125liters?
Undecided on baffle and crossover but am using DSP and hopefully I find a sweet spot for both.very exciting stuff!
Your system looks excellent @oohms!

This didn’t post where I was anticipating it would.
The picture oohms posted in #350 is very much like I’m building.
It’s very cool to see We have similar ideas in Our creations.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Freddi,
The rule of thumb is to find a woofer with at least 6dB more sensitivity than the mid or full range if you want to take advaunge of its high sensitivity. This allows for the circa 5dB loss dues to baffle step. There are but a few 101dB rated pro woofers out there. So unless woofer has Horn gain like a FL bass horn - the PRV or Lavoce will have to be attenuated somewhat.

thanks X - I've got 15" ranging from 96.5 to about 98 but since would like to keep the cabinet small, can see where attenuation will be needed.

What was the un-equalized response and sensitivity of 5MR450-NDY on your horn? (- looking for something to keep up with a midbass horn)