Driver Suggestions for 7L Cabinet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Driver Suggestions for 7L Cabinet - Finished!

Hello All,

I been wanting to experiment with full rangers. I have a little Fostex Kanspea kit and I love it. I also happen to have some Parts Express 0.25 cubic foot (7L) cabinets that I was thinking of purposing with a fullrange driver.

Any suggestions on a good driver for this enclosure? I't be sealed and paired with a sub and AVR with Audessey XT. I'm thinking a CHR-70 or Alpair 7 from Mark Audio might be a good fit. Any ideas would be welcomed. :)

Last edited:
Of the ones i regularly play with:
Mark Audio CHR/CHP70, Alpair 7.3, maybe sealed A10.x (i'm guessing on the A10s, i'm not not in a place to access my sims)
Fostex FF125wk, a bit big for FF105wk.
In people's closets, CSS FR125, EL70.

dave

Thanks Dave. Is the Alpair 7.3 really all that better than the CHR/CHP-70? Also, I've seen reference to the CSS EL70 but I don't see it for sale anywhere is it NLA?

Yes, the Alpair is that much substantially more refined than the CHR

Too bad about the EL70 - for years my other favorite driver by Mark. While nominally same size range, the new CHP70 is not cut of quite the same cloth.

Rumour has it (or does now :D) that a new 70mm paper driver is in the works, based on the Alpair 7 - actually I think prototypes have been produced and maybe even shown here. However, until T/S parameters are known, it'd be silly to speculate on required enclosure volumes / tuning.

FWIW, I've heard the A7.2 and .3 in a fairly wide range of enclosures, but all of them vented one way or the other. Dave or others probably have modeled curved handy that would suggest approx LF roll-off in a small sealed enclosure.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Attachments

• A10p-sealed.gif
    A10p-sealed.gif
    43.6 KB · Views: 389
  • Alpair103M-sealed.gif
    Alpair103M-sealed.gif
    36.4 KB · Views: 279
One more question, does baffle position matter much with the Alpair 7.3? I think I read something about this driver having BSC built in? Can I just center it in the baffle or should I move it towards the edge. My limited experience is with multi-ways where you are trying to account for acoustic centers and diffraction and such.

Option 2 would be preferred

dave

Okay, thank you for the input. If I do option 2 that will leave me with some room on the bottom of the baffle. Should I add a port then? I ask because I have some leftover part express adjustable ports laying around. They are 1 3/8" ID and the length can be adjusted from 4 5/16" to 8 5/8".

I know this is kind of evolving a lot but I figure I should try to get the best out of the drivers with what I have available to me. I am sending in the baffles to a CNC shop so I have a day or two to make up my mind on what I should do. :confused:

I love audio but I am just a dabbler and I have only designed one speaker system. A two way that I had a lot of help on. Thank you again for all the advice I really appreciate the help. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.