sph 60x full range monacor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi everybody,

i wanna build a very cheap speaker, a TQWt if its possible, i have read a lot on the internet about TQWT with radio shack drivers, but in Europe they're hard to get. SO i have looked for another driver.

i have put the specs of the driver here

fs 60 Hz, Cms 1.19, Mms 5.9 grams, Qms 2.17, Qes 0.53, Qts 0.42, Vas 9 liters, Rdl 6.2 Ohms, Le 0.4 mH, Sd 75 square cm.
price:21euro

is the TQWT encloser possible; or would there be other drivers

http://www.spectrumaudio.de ;Breitbandlautsprecher; monacor; here you can find the grap, it's rather flat

thanx

High dude :D

you might be interested in the latest issue of german "Klang und Ton" magazine (1/2004). It contains a BR project with the Monacor SP 60x and an additional woofer. It is an update to "CT 193", one of the most successful speaker designs for the SP 60x ever.

Same issue features the Gradient W 160 AL Woofer as Fullrange speaker. For price and shopping look here:

http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/vergl3.htm#exot

I have built a TQWT with this speaker. Plans were discussed in this recent thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=24176

I´m quite impressed with the bass performance, although the speaker must be toed in to the listening position because the highs are really beamy.

If you are interested in metric dimensions etc. feel free to send me a mail.

Rudolf

There are two more drivers of the same size by monacor that look interesting: SPH 64X and 68X (the same driver in 4 or 8 ohms). They cost just a little more than the 60X but have a Kapton coil former and a flat-wire voice-coil. Looking at the graphs they seem to have a little less extension in the treble range but better midrange linearity then the 60X.

Regards

Charles

Hi everybody
six month ago I`ve build ct193 ("Klang und Ton" magazine 1/2002) with sph-60x, I`m very impresed with the sound from 13cm drivers. Great sound for about 100 euro !
Regards,
Tom

Attachments

• ct193.gif
    ct193.gif
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,306
I just build a pair of these for my friend, and I was really disappointed with their sound. Extremely dull midrange, almost non-existent... I did however not implement the proposed filter, maybe that's the reason.

Instead of the Monacor SPH-60X, I now use a pair of audiospeakers, from a Citroen BX car. They sound marvelous... Much better midrange.... And these can be bought for almost nothing at a scrapyard...

This is my first Fullrange project, and I am at last, very impressed.

A very interresting article. And a helpful guide to one that is now searching the market for a nice mid-price fullrange driver...

I know you must have been asked this question a million times, but since you have heard both of my finalists. Jordan 92S and Fostex 166E.

Regardless of price, and efficiency, which driver was the most appealing... Which has the most detail in the midrange and treble region? And the acceleration factor of the two drivers compared?

I've built ML TQWT with SPH-60x.It used to bit a monopole,then I turned it to a bipole.Without BSC it can sound harsh and dull.If BSC added it sounds way better.I cannot say that I found optimum BSC with this rear driver,but it is way better than monopole.I don't think it is specially good FR driver.It is just average IMHO.I'm no specialsit for FR drivers,since I haven't tried many,but I found many 13 cm mid bass drivers from Monacor which sound way better than this one and they are not much expensive.If you add them a tweeter you'll have much better sound than with a single driver sph-60 x version.
If you want to make a bipole,it isn't worth of it ,cause for little more than that you can buy a 2 waycombination and put it in TQWT.Bipole DOES sound better,but it is worth of making if you have a good driver,which in my opinion SPH-60x isn't.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.