SB Acoustics SB12PAC25-4 full range?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This driver can be considered a full range?

The Madisound Speaker Store

SB12PAC25-4-curve.jpg

SB12PAC25-4-specs.jpg

sb12pac25-4.jpg

Hello. I am thinking about a F.A.S.T Build and have noticed this driver. There seems to be very little info on the net about it except cold sterile manufacturer datasheet. Anybody used this one?

Put this in a vented box of 2.5l tuned to 70Hz shows a reasonable bass, because this would be helped by a separate sub speaker.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I am trying to compare this with MarkAudio CHR-70A, they both seem pretty close, what do you think? Up until now I was set for the CHR, but I found this with better power handling, larger XMax (10mm p-p), and not least, better price. :) Which would be better in a fullrange mode? Can this driver work as a fullrange instead of the CHR or am I just misreading the specs? Thanks.

I am asking because the MarkAudio CHR seem to have a really good image around here and have read many good things about them, so I wouldn't want to trade quality for sheer sound power, but still, if they sound equally good, this might be an option.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Be careful with that 12kHz peak - as an aluminum cone driver it means this will have a significant ring in the impulse response. This will add shimmer and "air" to the music that is not naturally present. Some may like that. It will also smear sharp transient detail. The CHR70 being an aluminum cone with resonant peaks will not be free of this either.

You might want to look at similar paper cone or fiberglass cone drivers to avoid this peak.

Hi,

The SB is a great bassmid, not much of a FR,
the treble, except for the peak goes AWOL off
axis above 3KHz and it will sound that way.

4" FR's have weak off axis, 2" FR's are just too small.

A 3" genuine FR (see xrk's threads) would be
much better for a FAST than a small bassmid.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think you can do the Pluto with the SB65WBAC25 for the tweeter and the woofer recommend by SL or similar substitute. Skip the analog XO and EQ amp PCB completely and get a miniDSP and 2x4 XO plugin and a pair of $15 TPA3116D2 boards for a total cost of $150. You can dial in the 1kHz LR4 XO in miniDSP and use the PEQ to handle the rest. You can do the Linkwitz transform on the woofer too. If you want more power for the woofer get a 200w mono IRS2092 class D amp for about $20 and smps dual rail power supply from Connextronic.

Last edited:
More chr70 is real graphics? chn70 bad graphics :(

Yes, that is my curiosity too. CHR seem to have a lot of resonances and peaks/dips of 10dB cumulated, and still I read good things about them, that's why I was curious about the possibility of using the SB driver as a FR, because except of the 12kHz peak, it seems better behaved. I also don't care about directivity because I'm gonna use it as a TV speaker who has to sound good directly in front, don't care for sides.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, that is my curiosity too. CHR seem to have a lot of resonances and peaks/dips of 10dB cumulated, and still I read good things about them, that's why I was curious about the possibility of using the SB driver as a FR, because except of the 12kHz peak, it seems better behaved. I also don't care about directivity because I'm gonna use it as a TV speaker who has to sound good directly in front, don't care for sides.

More choices for drivers to look at here:

From http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/274092-subjective-blind-comparison-3in-5in-drivers-round-2-a.html

1. Vifa TG9FD10-8 (fiberglass cone)
2. Tang Band W4-1320SB (paper cone)
3. Peerless P830986 (aluminum cone)
4. Fostex FF105WK (paper cone)
5. ScanSpeak 10F/8424G00 (fiberglass cone)
6. Mark Audio Alpair A7.3 (silver cone) (aluminum cone)
7. AHE 3in (from Taiwan) (paper cone)

from http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/270614-subjective-blind-comparison-3in-5in-full-range-drivers.html

8. Vifa TC9FD (3.5in paper cone 8 ohm)
9. Faital Pro 3FE22 (3in paper cone 16 ohm)
10. Dayton Audio RS100-4 (3.5in aluminum cone 4 ohm)
11. Dayton Audio RS100P-4 (3.5in paper cone 4 ohm)
12. Dayton Audio PS95-8 (3in paper cone 8 ohm)
13. MA CHN-70 (4in paper cone 8 ohm)
14. PRV 5MR450NDY (5in 'midrange' pro audio paper cone 8 ohm)

Of the above, the ScanSpeak 10F/8424, Vifa TC9FD, Vifa TG9FD, Faital Pro 3FE22r16, Peerless P830986, and Mark Audio Alpair A7.3 were among the top drivers chosen by the polls. You can listen to their soundclips and look at measured response and choose for yourself. If you want smooth response in a cost effective format, the Vifa's are hard to pass up. If cost is no object then the Scanspeak is the way to go. If you like some "air" or "shimmer" added to your music, the Peerless or Alpair 7.3 are good choices.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.