Radio Shack 40-1197 & tube amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know if these two things are related, but here's the deal. I have a few Radio Shack Full Range drivers.. model 40-1197. When I hook them up to my ASL Wave 8 or my modded ST-70, they buzz very loudly when hooked up to a source. The buzzing stays the same volume whether I turn up the source volume or not. When I disconnect the rca cable from the source, the buzzing goes away. When I tried the speakers on my SOZ and a cheap JVC mini-system, they don't buzz at all. Both my Wave 8 and ST-70 work wonderfully with my Ariels and some old speakers I have at home. I have tried my ST-70 on a friends pair of polk's and strangely it causes them to buzz too in the exact same way as the Radio shack drivers. Incidentally, this buzzing started after I tested some diy electrostats on the wave-8 and st-70. Before using them on the electrostats, the Radio shack drivers tested fine on the Wave 8, however, I didn't get a chance to use them on the st-70, so I don't know how they would have reacted to them. I am beginning to wonder if there is something that my electrostats did to my amps that cause them to behave this way. If so, why would they still work with other speakers? Right now, I have really no idea what might be wrong. I read some other threads about ground loops, but that would cause buzzing in all speakers, right?

Anyways, thanx in advance for any advice on this.

-eric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.