Frugel-Horn XL for Fostex Fe 168eZ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I´m ready.

Sete_R3.jpg

front_R1.jpg

finnished with:

wachs1.jpg

Bottom:

unten1.jpg

The sound is god, but you have to sit exactly in the middle of the speakers. I think that is the most problem of BB´s. They don´t need to stand in the corners. The bass is god. at the moment I hear with an old Marantz PM 66SE.

If the place to sit is more outside of the sweep spot, the high tones are a bit sharp?

Thank you for the plans. the speaker looks nice.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We haven't tried FE168eS or FE166En in the FHXL so i can only make suggestions related to how you get bottom out of FE126En in FH3.

Load the back of the horn into a corner, this gives the maximum expansion of the horn. No stuffing below the driver at the front. They still don't have the bass quantity of the higher Qt drivers used in FH3.

Fostex FE drivers are noted for their forward sound. Driver treatment can reduce this somewhat.

dave

I never tried it with a transistor amp. and i wil lnever use a dsp.
I know that this smal horns never made a deep bass, but it should go down to 45Hz with this fostex speaker.

maybe i build an two way speaker with the fostex and a 12" Bass sideward. It should work in my room. on each side i have mor then 1,5 mtr space.

but before we will test a lot things, in order to keep the horn

Indeed it should go down to 45Hz in FHXL, so there's something wrong somewhere. Ironic that we've got two similar issues almost at the same time, so it's a case of trouble-shooting to find out what's going on.

Assuming you can't take an FR & impedance test, we'll have to fall back on basic checks in a systematic fashion. Since no difference has been noted from one channel to the other, that more or less eliminates a mechanical issue with the drivers, so it's either a cabinet or other system problem.

-Play some material with output in the < 60Hz region (avoid steady-state tones) & get your hand near the choke at the bottom of the cabinet. If there's little / no air movement, that may indicate you have either over-damped the cabinets, or there is a leak path, shorting out the box output.

-Remove some of the damping, especially if it's in the front section above, around and below the driver. You don't want stuffing too close to drivers anyway. If things improve, issue solved -they were over-damped. If not, next thing to check are the construction joints, to make sure they're 100% air-tight. The most likely locations for a leak are around the internal baffle, and at the throat (point).

-Assuming you've checked all the above, they're not over-damped and there are no leaks, that suggests there is a problem elsewhere in the system. The Fostex drivers were designed to be used with amplifiers having an output impedance > 1ohm; I'm not familiar with the Consonance amps, but assuming they're working properly, I imagine their output impedance will be about right. The drivers may need a bit longer for the suspensions to loosen up tot heir intended operating region, although I doubt that will make a huge difference in this case. You don't say what wire you're using, but you might want to try adding some series R to see if that brings any changes -it's possible the driver batch your units came from have more magnet power than advertised, and that can help bring things back into balance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.