Repairing Fostex FF165 foil caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone, a visiting child has managed to destroy both foil centres on the Fostex FF165's in a pair of Cain & Cain Super Abbys we have in our living room. Does anyone know if they can be fixed here in the UK? If, as I suspect, they can't how close a replacement are the new FF165WK's? Listening to the speakers there doesn't seem to be any real change, despite the obvious damage, however as luck would have it I was just about to put them on Ebay to fund a project and I suspect their value has dropped as a result! Many thanks for any help.

David Whistance

The current WK range are not drop-in replacements, having a substantially higher Q & lower Vas. Depending on how badly the dust caps have been pushed in, you may be able to pull them out with tape, or, if you're feeling brave, either a small vacuum cleaner or a pin, pushed through the centre & bent around at right-angles to prize it back into shape.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The foil coils on these are VERY fragile. If the caps are creased they are likely to be toast. But just puhed in can be -- at least mostly -- pulled out using painter's tape(green or blue here). It takes lots of care and lots of patience (you don't always seem to be going forward).

If they are gone, then they might be usable with no dustcap and a phase plug. That won't help your resale value.This speaker shipped from the factory with FE166e or FF125k. So for resalethe FE166En is a replacement.

If you were keeping them, i'd be tempted to try FF125wk.

Good luck.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the FF165WK sounds great in those, as its specs are well suited for TQWT type boxes. I always thought the FF165K was a slightly odd choice for a Voigt pipe like the Abby. (but apparently one that worked... ) Perhaps if you ask nicely, someone can sim them for you.

If you plan to sell them, or simply want to keep them as original as possible - yeah, putting in a pair of FE166En drivers is the way to go, and should help to retain value.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.