Anyone with listening experience on EMS LB 12 EX 12" full range field coil driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Shane,

I don´t have the LB12, but a Fertinacoustics 21M8EX with a quite similar motor.
I have tried several different PSUs for my fieldcoils during the last years and have settled on a LiIon battery supply. Compared to linear PSUs and switch-mode PSUs the batteries, of course in my subjective experience only, were always favourable, I could hear more details and a little bit more room information. Of course the voltage was the same during trials.

So I build my crude battery supply, which lasts for about 10 hrs. until voltage drops. Changing between batteries and charging (including a fieldcoil heating PSU, which also allows to hear music) is operated by relay and done with a flick of a single switch. I use separate PSUs for each channel.
The greatest disadvantage of this approach is that you´re not able to tune the voltage, but I´m fine with the 12,4V from the batteries. +- 0,2V is not important.

Practically, the easiest and cheapest solution is a Meanwell switching PSU Mean Well RPS-60-12 (the RPS-60 is of medical grade and has less ripple than the others), you´ll have a solid base for further experiments at a very low cost. Also fine is this linear PSU: Audiophile Super-Netzteile, High-End Analog Netzteile für DA-Wandler; Raspberry Pi, Thel NT-50HQ.
My batteries are here: ENERpower Battery-Tank 11.1V 20.3Ah Li-Ion DIY Open-End Hexagon | ENERprof.

Of course other approaches including current-regulated PSUs exist, and maybe some day I will try something like this, but don´t feel any urge in the moment.

Looking forward to read about your experiences!

All the best

Mattes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.