7" x 10" speakers for open baffle.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi ,I have what I believe to be a pair of Telefunkin speakers .I got these probably 5 years on Ebay and all the listing said was made in Germany and that they were 4 ohms and were rated at 4 1/2 watts . Also when I bought them they were mounted on a flat baflle about 5 feet long and about a foot wide ,but since they were along way from home I just had the drivers shipped to me.Soo...with no other information than that does anyone think I could simply make an open baffle with piano hinges and it would sound pretty good ?I have to say that I usually use some big boxes [Klipsch Lascala}and a Mcintosh Pre amp and a nice powerfull tube amp [60 wpc].I am truly amazed at the way these little speakers sound in a couple of cardboard boxes and since I only have less than $25 into these I would realy like to make something out of them.WAF is not an issue so baffle size is not an issue .Also my speakers will be about 9 feet from my ears .Thank you for your input it is great,Scott

There is a baffle design like that. I have never tried one but I can imagine it sounds fairly well. At least that was the claims of those who built them. 9" wide board for the baffle with one wing being 10" and the other being 18" They had only one driver per baffle so as to not lose the point source. Of course the width of the boards aren't really that critical. The more distance you put between the back of the driver and the front of the driver the lower in frequency they will play. They should sound better than sticking them in a box. ;)

Here's a link to the thread with the picture of the baffle scroll down when you get there. :)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/226602-wild-burro-betsy-ob-build-3.html

Last edited:
Hi, I also wondered if the open baffle would sound better than some kind of horn loaded box or a sealed ? or ? Anyway these were realy surprising to me when i first hooked them up i just held the drivers about 16" from my head barely turned them up and it was so clear and fast that I think I just found a new sub-hobby

Sorry for the multiple postings but I am new to this and am just thrilled to have like minded people who can relate to this"Audiophile thing"I will post pictures if I can get a camera [I dont have a cell phone and I use vacuum tubes to amplify my music] but I did a search and these look just like some Telefunkins I saw ,Exact frame and magnet but mine have no markings on them and the ones I saw were bare metal and mine are painted grey

Hi Again there is a single speaker on EBAY under the title vintage 1950's Telefunken 7"x10" speaker that looks just like mine but the frames on mine are painted grey and look very new it says they came out of a console so these probably had another driver for bass and no x-ver ?I will happily build a box or what ever . Is this a good idea or are these not really suitable by themselves.

Have a look at the Lampizator speakers. He has made a few using similar units. Look more specifically at P18 and P19, where he uses oval units like yours. These are simple 3-way speakers, but he always adds a 4" cone tweeter to the mix, along with a sub for low bass. His own P24 also uses oval mid like yours, but they are 4-way speakers (5-way if you add the subs he uses).

Lukasz Fikus' speaker projects

Enjoy,
Deon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.