Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Short Line Array (line source) build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2014, 03:43 PM   #221
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

As a quick fix, I put some double face tape under the feet. We usually have some more aftershocks... of smaller amplitude fortunately.

I may add a wire or stick from the wall to keep them from swaying later as well.
Old 21st May 2014, 06:04 PM   #222
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
Now with video!

Arrays - YouTube

Use headphones!
I finally got a chance to listen to your video, sounds very nice. The percussive strings really highlights the lightning quick impulse response of the sealed driver arrays. Not bad for $100 worth of drivers at all. Nice job!
Old 21st May 2014, 06:15 PM   #223
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS View Post
Hi,

I'd suggest not to boost too much in EQ. Leave the nulls alone and suppress the peaks only. Or use boost as little as possible.

Try it and compare.
+1 on the EQ tips (cuts peaks, do not fill valleys). Also, if you can avoid it, don't EQ in the 500 Hz to 6 kHz range as the EQ'ing there messes with the phase-sensitive range where fullrange drivers derive their magic for superior imaging and spatialization. If you need to EQ there, do it with a wide (low Q) negative gain shelf. Most likely a baffle step of -5 to -6dB may be needed from 1 kHz on up. You will need bass boost below 200 Hz and probably treble boost above 12kHz.
Old 22nd May 2014, 05:29 AM   #224
diyAudio Member

Thanks X!

Yep, these little towers handle transients like nothing I've had before!

I didn't play with EQ this week, other things to do, but I will heed you guys advice regarding calming the peaks instead of boosting the lows.

I usually like to do a small notch filter somewhere between 800Hz and 1.5KHz, it clears up vocals a lot and makes everything less "nasal".
Old 4th January 2015, 12:38 AM   #225
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Seemed you turned to MLTL (TABAQ) lately. What happened to the arrays? (or what happened to you?)

Old 4th January 2015, 10:29 AM   #226
diyAudio Member

I loved my arrays, but I decided to give them to my father-in-law. He moved to a new place with a huge living room, and his little system couldn't cut it. You should've seen the smile on his face when I showed up with the arrays and played some music in his living room.... priceless!

The TABAQ was mostly for fun (DIYing is so much fun!) but it turned up so well that I will pursue that later. I have a pair of TB W4-1879 in mind....

Right now, I am living with a pair of W8-1772. They don't have the soundstage and the transients handling that the arrays had, but the imaging and detail coming of those Tang Band are something that bring a smile to my face!
Old 4th January 2015, 02:08 PM   #227
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

How nice. All good.

I wish I could do similar thing, too. But my works are all too weird to give away. So I just scrapped the woodwork and kept the drivers. And then it's even harder to give drivers away...

Short Line Array (line source) buildHide this!Advertise here!