Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bass reflex standmounts 10.3 / 10P
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2019, 07:41 PM   #111
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Good to see the progress.
Old 10th March 2019, 03:52 AM   #112
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Just adding some fillets - mitre joints aren't the strongest type of joint and I may want to chamfer the outside corner which will reduce the glued area, plus I had the right shaped bits left over from cutting them.

Hey Silas - I may have to send you my boxes for the lacquer treatment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adding some fillets.JPG (341.0 KB, 174 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 10th March 2019, 05:36 PM   #113
silasmellor is offline silasmellor  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Haha, sure, I might be tempted to keep them though
Old 12th March 2019, 07:38 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

well the glue up wasn't perfect due to the lack of clamps. It means there's one or maybe two joints that are not tight enough to be fully pleased with so I'll have to assume the potential for leaks and seal them from inside if necessary (more wood glue). Nevertheless, it's been awhile since I've built anything, being so satisfied with my AN 15" speaker that I'll count this as a victory so far. And since I was home today sorting out some things and put some chamfers on the edges of the boxes, with larger chamfers on the front vertical edges - mostly for cosmetic reasons if I'm honest about it.

I wanted a different cabinet shape than the Woden design so I worked up a design that would nicely fit onto the 2' x 4' handy panels I had bought. The internal volume is around 93% of the Woden box (raw, no driver or port installed) so I might get away with a similar length port. I don't have a drill suitable for the Port hole yet though. The port will be on the rear, as Scott originally intended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chamfered boxes.jpg (650.4 KB, 145 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 12th March 2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 15th March 2019, 07:08 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

I've now added the screw holes to mount the drivers to the front baffles and added a port hole on the back, rounding it as this seems to be a popular thing

I have some 2" plastic tube to make the ports the proper length of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg driver mounting screw holes.jpg (291.1 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg port routed.jpg (250.5 KB, 113 views)
Old 19th March 2019, 12:30 AM   #116
diyAudio Member

I need to choose a finish - whilst I love the natural finish, I've made speakers that way before and it seems appropriate to try something else this time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colours on Birch.JPG (712.0 KB, 76 views)
Old 19th March 2019, 12:55 AM   #117
CraigSu is offline CraigSu  United States
diyAudio Member

Birch ply isn’t known for taking stain well. If you’re determined to go that route then I strongly recommend you put a finish coat on your samples before you make a final decision. You might even try overlaying different stain colors to achieve a more unique look.

Edit: Just looked closer at your samples. Gel stain is definitely your friend. Much easier to control, especially when dealing with woods that don’t ordinarily stain well.

Last edited by CraigSu; 19th March 2019 at 01:04 AM.
Old 20th March 2019, 12:19 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

Yup - that Birch is a splotchy wood and given how the veneer is shaved off the tree it's going to look a bit different. I've used Gel stains on this kind of wood before and the results were good.

I've mixed a bit of mahogany (1 application) with the cherry (2 applications) to get a richer colour - not a bad option. And I added another coating of Danish oil to that sample (4 in total) which gives it a richer tone. Close up they are both a bit splotchy but I consider it part of the character of this wood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Danish Oil carbon-grey or Gel stain cherry and Mahogany mix.JPG (884.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Alpair-10M-Grey-Driver.jpg (94.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg alpair-10p.jpg (110.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 20th March 2019, 02:24 AM   #119
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Gareth - it’s the nature of both Birch & Maple -whether veneer or solid - to be “fun to get an even stain finish on. As long as there’s no objectionable mineral stains or patched knot holes, I’d be inclined to a clear oil or varnish finish, or a thin seal coat of shellac before adding stain & top coats.
Old 20th March 2019, 12:08 PM   #120
paul burchell is offline paul burchell  Canada
diyAudio Member

You could also mix about 8 parts thinner too 1 part linseed oil, apply it like stain (wipe on and off) then follow with regular oil based stain right away.

Bass reflex standmounts 10.3 / 10PHide this!Advertise here!