Goodmans Axiom 201

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

My latest project is a pair of Goodmans Axiom 201 drivers:

System by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Speakers by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Goodmans Axiom 201 by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Goodmans Axiom 201 by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

System by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Currently they are in a ~80Litre ported cabinet, which is OK, well built but the bass can be a little slow and lumpy although not that bad to be honest.
I currently have them open backed which seems to improve the bass, with not a massive reduction on bass depth. (and pulled out a bit compared to the photo above).
I dont really want such a large speaker so far out into the room, so shying away from the OB idea.

I am using a pair of Fountek JP2 ribbons crossed at ~7.5kHz/2nd order for the moment which work well, maybe need knocking down a notch in SPL though.

I have searched and found plenty of references to the 201, and lots of information and T/S parameters for the 301/401 and Axiom 80 drivers but none for the 201.
All I have found is that they have a highish Qts ~0.7 and 96dB/16Ohms

I have seen the recommended Goodmans cabinets mentioned/detailed online but thought there may be some better designs out there.

Ideally I would like an enclosure that will have tighter bass than the current one, and work up next to the rear wall.

I have seen what looks like an Onken enclosure used for a few pairs, although they might be 301 or 401 which I believe have a much lower QTS.

Inrank
I used to use the Goodmans 201 and also its bigger brother.
Goodmans recomended a very large cabinet with a covered port of 15cm x 24cm ( 6" by 9" - from memory ) The port was covered by a rigid plastic mesh with a fine grill cloth over ther mesh. Goodmans recomended that the port was below the speaker on the front of the cabinet.
A large cabinet and the correct port covering does help firm the base. However the greatest strength of the speaker is its sensativity.
Hope that helps.
Don

Inrank

Try making an eclosure higher, narrower but not deeper. I'd just try to keep the same baffle area and volume.

Personally I've got recommended enclosure fitted with triaxioms 1220c without trebax units. trebaxes are replaced with fountek neo cd3.5H crossed at 10kHz with 1st order. ribbons are mounted just under triaxioms. port flow didn't suffer.

If you don't have a good design for them I'd recommend those boxes provided by goodmans in their catalogue.

Bass is really satisfying, tight and fast. In 25m2 room I don't push them with more than 1W of power from ECL86 SE amp ;)

Heard 301s in enclosures which were without air resistant units and they were high, tight and not too deep, but their volume was like 190-200l, just like in recommended ones. Personally I found those better sounding than those I own.

Surrounds

The problem in the LF could be the surrounds. They may have stiffened and could be limiting excursion. I have Triaxioms with corrugated cloth surrounds with the usual black rubber coating. These remain pliable nearly forever. I have these drivers crossed to wharfedale W15rs drivers at 150 hz in open baffles. Just a thought.... ( the surrounds, not the open baffles)

Regards,

Jason

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
attachment.php

These haven't been built yet, but the same fellow gotmeto docabs for the new Diatone P810 MkII

dave

Attachments

• Axi-Ken-extents.gif
    Axi-Ken-extents.gif
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,979
Look what I've been able to finally make a start on :)

These will be painted white, I have some very nice ply (13-layer 18mm) but it is dark varnished on one side and primed on another. The backs will be removable. If I need helper tweeters I will make some pods to sit on top.

Attachments

• DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    655.5 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:
Here are my Axi-Kens at the Scalford hi-fi show on Sunday in the UK, a hi-fi show where people take their own systems. I was in a room approx 13ft x 13ft, and was swapping between my FrugalHorn XL's and the Axi-Kens. The Goodmans drivers had been unused for many years and went from sounding "good" in the morning to astounding in the afternoon, I really am pleased with them. The bass has no overhang whatsoever, very impressive for a large driver. The Monacor ribbons come in at around 12Khz for a little bit of air, for some music they aren't really needed. I had plenty of good comments about both speakers, so thank you Dave :)

One chap had some unused 201's at home and couldn't believe how good mine sounded, he was interested in getting the plans so I will point him in this direction.

Attachments

• Axi-Ken201.jpg
    Axi-Ken201.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 7,782
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.