Fountek FE85 vs TB W3-593SF for OB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As some might know, I'm building a pair of OB's that will use a 3" or 4" full range driver as part of the design. I am in a bind if to get Fountek FE85's or Tang Band W3-593SF, the difference is $10.00 each, the TB being the most expensive. Price is not a problem, planned on using the VIFA TC9, but a matter of looks is important, so discarded the TC9 for this build, though I'm ordering a pair just to have them for something else.

QTS on FE is 0.52 and on W3 is 0.58, don't know if that is much of a difference on the OB world, where higher QTS is preferred. So, your recommendation is appreciated. Maybe someone has compared both, or has experience using both. Low end is of no concern, compare to mids and highs performance.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That would be a mistake to use a TB W3 for looks in an OB. Sure it looks cool with a solid aluminum phase plug but phase plugs on a 3 in driver is a gimmick and reduces effective Sd. Qts is much lower but biggest problem is 0.5 mm xmax. That is 5x less stroke than the Vifa. The FE85 has 1.5mm xmax which is an improvement over the TB but both of these drivers handle a lot less power so ultimately they will be lower SPL capable given that they are all about 85 to 86 dB at 2.83v. You will have a good looking driver but it probably won't sound as good.

Let me be clear...Trying to prove that it can be built and be good looking without using the usual black cones, which I'm fully aware that the good sounding options out there are black because of their materials. Having said that, for trial and error purposes I built an OB to hear how a W3-881SI would sound in such a configuration, and they performed very well. The W3-881SI has the advantage of a high QTS of 0.85, but they also have an Xmax of 0.5 mm. Still deciding, I am ordering the VIFA's just in case, I am also ordering one of the two mentioned full range drivers, most probably the Fountek. Let's see how it goes, I like to learn by experimentation, as well as by reading. If one don't work, I can always exchange for another. I know the reputation of the VIFA's, worst case scenario: I have a pair of woofers and a pair of FR left over for another project, probably enclosed 2-way speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.