Torus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
just a quick question: "Has anybody any experience or thoughts about using a torus/doughnut shape as an open baffle for a wide band/full range driver?

I only ask as the shape seems to me to offer two possible advantages:

1: a degree of waveguide type loading
2: the longest possible path from the front to the rear of the driver for any given baffle size.

(a torus having an overall width of 3 x the central hole diameter)

GM

Joined 2003
A pity that 'JohninCR' is no longer active in DIY audio [at least here] to tell you about his, but then again it's at least partly because after many speaker alignment experiments from the mundane to the bizarre, he decreed his rolled over dipole waveguide was the 'light at the end of the tunnel' or some-such, ‘disappearing’ shortly thereafter.

Best then to design a proper WG such as a 180 degree rolled over LeCleac’h than just accept a specific mathematical shape.

GM

Hi,
of the two points that I mentioned the second maybe the more interesting, in that, for any open baffle the baffle width is important for the lower frequencies and the torus shape allows the longest path from front to back of any given baffle diameter. Also the dispersion from the driver will be very similar to that of a sphere initially.
To make a torus is considered difficult but I thought I would try the following method:

Take one wheelbarrow/cart tyre inner tube for a 10" wheel (they approximate a torus) remove the air valve from the valve stem and fill the inside of the tyre with expanding cavity foam (a little water needs to be put into the tube for the foam to cure) The expansion of the foam should fill the rubber inner tube to its full shape with some exiting throughout the valve stem. The volume of the torus can be easily calculated so enough foam is added!
When it has set one could trim the valve stem flush and leave the rubber, this would be hidden by the driver mount. It might be possible to remove the rubber tube by cutting through the rubber and peeling off. I'm not sure how well expanding foam sticks to rubber so it might be prudent to oil the interior of the rubber tube before filling with foam if the rubber is to be removed.
I thought of this method of making a close approximation of a torus some time ago and I will try it one day. It would not take long at all.

This gives an idea of how effective a torus can be, and with a simple waveguide it could be even better. I used this Ripple Tank Simulation and include the files if anyone want's to have a play with the simulations

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 2.14.01 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 2.14.01 PM.png
    757.7 KB · Views: 377
  • Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 2.13.32 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 2.13.32 PM.png
    572.8 KB · Views: 387
  • ripple-20201016-1414.txt
    124 bytes · Views: 44
  • ripple-20201011-1615.txt
    428 bytes · Views: 33
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
If the diameter is only 10in (and a circa 3.5in full range) you could glue up several layers of XPS or surfboard foam or even sheets of thick EVA and sculpt it. However, isn’t round torus going to produce equidistant paths and this will cause deep dips corresponding to the 1/2-wave length in the wrap around radial direction?

Assuming 10in outside dia torus and 3in width of toroidal body, pi x 3in is about 0.24m circumference front to back. That will give a deep destructive interface notch at 715Hz. It is deep because the entire perimeter has the same distance. A rectangular “toroid” double horn would have less of a deep notch since distances are varied. Same reason why rectangular flat baffles are superior to round baffles.

Last edited:
If the diameter is only 10in (and a circa 3.5in full range) you could glue up several layers of XPS or surfboard foam or even sheets of thick EVA and sculpt it. However, isn’t round torus going to produce equidistant paths and this will cause deep dips corresponding to the 1/2-wave length in the wrap around radial direction?

Assuming 10in outside dia torus and 3in width of toroidal body, pi x 3in is about 0.24m circumference front to back. That will give a deep destructive interface notch at 715Hz. It is deep because the entire perimeter has the same distance. A rectangular “toroid” double horn would have less of a deep notch since distances are varied. Same reason why rectangular flat baffles are superior to round baffles.

Hi,

Exactly, a round torus will have an equidistant path length between front and back of the driver and will lead to powerful baffle effects. As nice as the symmetric radiation of a nearly-round baffle is, these effects have to be taken into account. The baffle effects will be reduced considerably with the use of a petal baffle.
I had measurements from comparisons while building the flowers, but sadly these have been lost in a HD crash.

All the best

Mattes

Attachments

• DSC04305 1 klein.jpg
    DSC04305 1 klein.jpg
    935 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC05041 2.jpg
    DSC05041 2.jpg
    722.3 KB · Views: 192
To make a torus is considered difficult but I thought I would try the following method:

Take one wheelbarrow/cart tyre inner tube for a 10" wheel (they approximate a torus) remove the air valve from the valve stem and fill the inside of the tyre with expanding cavity foam (a little water needs to be put into the tube for the foam to cure) The expansion of the foam should fill the rubber inner tube to its full shape with some exiting throughout the valve stem. The volume of the torus can be easily calculated so enough foam is added!
I doubt expanded foam would have much effect on low frequencies. It's a nice idea though and i wonder if something with more density could be injected in a similar way?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.