Alpair 10.2eN in 19 Liters 'TL-Resonator'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

i want to present my recently completed Alpair-project here....and it has even lasted long enough :-D
Principle it is a 19 liters BR-enclosure with a broad baffle and 'Alpair 10.2eN' by planet_10 (at this point thanks again, Dave!)

'nuff said...here are the pictures:

The CAD-drafts....

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

...and the reality

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Some pics of making them:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

cheers, Alex

Impressive stuff Alex - congratulations on the successful build! How do they sound?

This is the first time I am seeing this sort of an implementation of the high aspect ratio ports...can you and Dave share the reasons behind the placement and design?

I might be wrong, but some wool felt type lining might be better than the convoluted foam that you have on the inside of the rear panel.

Recall Dave mentioning that at 19 litres and with this sort of cabinet height, it is likely that there will be some quarter wave action - would be good to hear from Dave that how does this come into play in the overall design and sound reproduction.

Last edited:
Thanks!

With music that I know, they sound like they should ;-)
No, they go impressively 'deep' and enough punchy (for me)!
Metal-guitars from the nineties (eg. Metallica and Tool) sometimes sond's a bit harsh and slightly cheeky...but they have a wide and accurate soundstage.

This German article brought me to this construction: MarkO

The membrane is attached very directly to the air and the ports.
I have, however, omitted the middle holes and used a normal port-calculation.
The width of the baffle is based on a article in a German magazine (HobbyHifi)

I still experimenting with the stuffing. I do not want to *damp-to-dead* the enclosure ;-)

Very Nice. That looks like my kind of speaker. What do you drive them with?

About the only suggestion I could possibly (possibly!) make would be for you to use some soft wool heavy cloth wrapped around the back of the driver with a rubber band to prevent back waves from coming out through the cone/surround. I would think that with the shallow depth this would be a good problem to try to remedy. Where are you?

congrats

Thanks @all for the positive responses :)

With the most music they sound great. Sometimes it seems to me they were born for VNV Nation and other Electronic!

They get driven by Denon PMA/DCD-700AE.

@mor2bz: Thanks for this suggestion. But what do you exactly mean with "soft wool heavy cloth"? Unfortunately, the driver due to the design space is limited.

The stands were also a lot of work ... right!
For me, sometimes the journey is the destination! :-D

I'm a designer and programmer in a metal manufacturing company. The aluminum parts were mostly made ​​from residues and / or scrap. The column, for example, is made ​​of extruded aluminum and is hollow inside. The dimensions are 100 x 126mm Outside (4 "x 4.5").
Apropos: I fill the columns with sand. I have to dry the sand before in a bowl on the wood stove! Because ... I had bought mistakenly "play sand". And this is soaking wet!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.