Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Woden Design 3" Box Designs, BabyLabs & more
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2015, 06:14 PM   #201
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Cheers to Scott and Dave for the plans.

And thanks also to ChrisB for being the "robot builder" for early POC builds...
Old 17th April 2015, 06:42 PM   #202
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

I bet these will be nice. Little full range powered mini TLs can be great fun.
Old 17th April 2015, 07:05 PM   #203
zacster is online now zacster  United States
diyAudio Member

Great. I'm in the process of building these myself, very sloooowwwwlly. I was just going to play around with stuffing, but I guess there is a plan.

I was going to power them with a class D amp too, built into one of them. These are to be office speakers, either fed from a computer or iPhone.
Old 17th April 2015, 08:00 PM   #204
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

please feed them Apple Lossless files at least
Old 18th April 2015, 02:19 PM   #205
diyAudio Member

To the extent that I have Apple lossless, yes, but I also know that Spotify will be in the mix. My office-mate knows nothing about sound and is happy using his iPhone's internal speaker for music. Anything is an improvement on that. It did make me think of an app though. Have one iPhone act as the left speaker, and another as the right, slaved off the first. At least you can get real stereo sound. And why stop there, 5.1 surround too!

Maybe I should start recording all my new vinyl into 24/96...

Last edited by zacster; 18th April 2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 19th April 2015, 06:20 PM   #206
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Some of the larger Bluetooth speakers and 'phones are reputedly quite decent, but the transmission does somewhat reduce battery life.

I have a BT head unit in my truck and an app for streaming my favorite FM jazz /blues/news station (KPLU), or the music files stored on the phone. The whole thing works fairly well most of the time, although the radio app sometimes fails to automatically reconnect after completing a phone call, or gets stuck buffering when moving between LTE & 3G zones. There's free public WiFi on the main street a couple of blocks away from work, so in the distance of less than a mile, it can switch from office WiFi to LTE and Shaw open then LTE, then 3G

Gotta love technology
Old 19th April 2015, 10:43 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

KPLU was one of my favorite stations back when I lived in Seattle, when the only option was over the air. Wasn't that Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma? I still use KEXP for more current/alternative music in podcasts. They used to stream 16/44, and I never had the bandwidth back then to use it. I don't know if they still do. I guess I'll check.

We have WBGO from Newark for Jazz here, but in Brooklyn it is already getting distant. I just haven't been into streaming radio, but Spotify at least lets you pick. Pandora just gets boring, playing the same songs over and over and over again.
Old 20th April 2015, 01:02 AM   #208
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

zac - yup, PLU - they now have a series of local terrestrial repeaters, on stream at KPLU.org, and the mobile app.

Just live the mix of "newsers" and announcers - I couldn't possibly care less about sports, but Art makes it intersesting, and how many stations have a professor of atmospheric science as " the weather guy"
Old 25th April 2015, 03:08 AM   #209
diyAudio Member

Would this design work for a pair of FE126e scaled up? My daughter took a look at the Lance that I'm building and wants them instead of the foam core that I built around the FE126, using a lot of guesswork. They sound pretty good, but are larger, and large isn't good in a dorm room. I could trade the Lance for something larger for myself if the design would work.

The alternative would be to just rebuild the foam core design out of plywood and give them to her twin sister, the music major (piano). She would use them a lot.
Old 25th April 2015, 09:42 AM   #210
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

As-is, and from the factory data this type of load (I'm not a fan of scaling designs since it ignores differing driver requirements) it wouldn't be ideal since the 126E & it's En successor are technically horn drivers inasmuch as they have a rising HF response that needs a horn to balance it out. However, it also depends on the amplifier (high output impedance will help) or if some series R is acceptable (likewise). ? In which case I could do a one-off.

Woden Design 3" Box Designs, BabyLabs & moreHide this!Advertise here!