Woden Design 3" Box Designs, BabyLabs & more

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Let's see if i can work something up.

Qt =1.45

These want to be OB OR in a large as possible box* holes drilles at the furthest side from the driver, damp heavily, or sealed with an inline cap thay starts above the peak flattening it.

* (5+ litre, but you can make smaller at the expense of where the big bump is)
** (for 5+ litre, ~ 40-45 uF)

Depending on how well suppressed the peak, <100 Hz is possible

dave

This is a cool acoustic concept, maybe a play on the pretty darned decent Fostex FE83En DBR at some level(?), i am seeing also perhaps some visual play off the styling of our Orca Fullrange. And I think it's safe to say that your choice of the name, "Harpoon," reinforces the play on the designs/words.

Of course we are both cascadians, (We are right across the water from you guys.) So to play along a little, lets all just take a few moments to remember the thing thats on top of the food chain, in the absence of harpoons.

http://blackfishmovie.com and

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/whaling/player/

From experience with other enclosures for various 3" drivers, the DBR was great for extension but kindof had a two note character because of the independant chambers resonating. Im continuing to work with but am still not too keen on the treble of the FF85Wk for the really long listening sessions i like to get into. But then again, there's no accounting for the variety of taste between different people and I'm not too proud about my own stuff to say that your approach won't work, I bet these sound awesome in the many ways that 3" fr's do. So the differences between our designs are probably "Apples and Oranges" for most people.

So heck, whatever. I get the joke, guys. Back at ya. Enjoy the Holidays, hope to make it to a diyfest one of these years.

Clark

P.s. Terry Cain's serial #1 double horns said "hi" to our shop last month before going off to the customer. It took some time and tweaking , but we got 'em sounding just as awesome as you might remember.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
... maybe a play on the pretty darned decent Fostex FE83En DBR

The Fostex box has the smaller chamber 1st with 2 vents total so quite a different box.

"Harpoon"

Lance, Harpoon and Sea Slug are missile names. Building on the theme started by Valient, Vixtor, Vulcan, Vampy, Viper -- UK war planes.

dave

Attachments

• Fostex-FE83e-DBR.gif
    Fostex-FE83e-DBR.gif
    46.3 KB · Views: 2,106
Clark - I pretty much found the same thing with the dual chamber - of the two not as smooth, articulate or extended as the TL. To be honest the last time I heard a standard BR with this size a Fostex driver was your prototype with FE83 at Bud's place - very nice indeed, but we were both proud poppas that day .

As you say, apples / oranges, Shiraz Cab/Sav, or whatever analogy one is inclined to make

as for the names yeah, Dr Lindgren is a bit of a military buff that way - with few exceptions it's either that or neolithic monoliths - but Sea Slug? I dunno, doesn't conjure a mental image of something lithe and articulate like I found the Lance to be. BTW, that's also someone's middle name

I'm not sure if Dave actually had occasion to hear any of TC's enclosures other than a pair of Abbys owned by our buddy Frank.

Well, sweet. Of course 3"ers making low bass does have a soft place in my heart... that the harpoon design in particular pierced. I'm pretty intrigued. The low bass control of the ff85k is awesome with the symmetric voice coil lead wires. So by comparison to the old Fostex FE83 DBR (for what was actually the FE83E), I bet that this harpoon design has alot more to offer for low bass control from those old days. So add a decently powerful amp to drive the low frequencies out from the 89db eff FF85k cone and you've got something there.

Scott's new website is awesome btw. Thanks for all the resources you guys provide for all of us, applicable to whichever point in this journey someone might be at.

Hey Chris or Dave,

Can you please post what the vertical position is for the driver. I used the mighty pen and ruler and I believe it would be 2 1/4" but want to make sure of this value since it is important

This looks like a nice simple build for present. Thanks!...dave

Hey Chris or Dave,

Can you please post what the vertical position is for the driver. I used the mighty pen and ruler and I believe it would be 2 1/4" but want to make sure of this value since it is important

This looks like a nice simple build for present. Thanks!...dave

I couldn't find my own as-built drawings, but that sounds about right - of course it wouldn't take much for Dave to put a tape measure on them and subtract the thickness of construction material

The same format design for Alpair 6 and FF105WK would of course have several different dimensions.