Woden Design 3" Box Designs, BabyLabs & more

Great. I'm in the process of building these myself, very sloooowwwwlly. I was just going to play around with stuffing, but I guess there is a plan.

I was going to power them with a class D amp too, built into one of them. These are to be office speakers, either fed from a computer or iPhone.

To the extent that I have Apple lossless, yes, but I also know that Spotify will be in the mix. My office-mate knows nothing about sound and is happy using his iPhone's internal speaker for music. Anything is an improvement on that. It did make me think of an app though. Have one iPhone act as the left speaker, and another as the right, slaved off the first. At least you can get real stereo sound. And why stop there, 5.1 surround too!

Maybe I should start recording all my new vinyl into 24/96...

Last edited:
Some of the larger Bluetooth speakers and 'phones are reputedly quite decent, but the transmission does somewhat reduce battery life.

I have a BT head unit in my truck and an app for streaming my favorite FM jazz /blues/news station (KPLU), or the music files stored on the phone. The whole thing works fairly well most of the time, although the radio app sometimes fails to automatically reconnect after completing a phone call, or gets stuck buffering when moving between LTE & 3G zones. There's free public WiFi on the main street a couple of blocks away from work, so in the distance of less than a mile, it can switch from office WiFi to LTE and Shaw open then LTE, then 3G

Gotta love technology

KPLU was one of my favorite stations back when I lived in Seattle, when the only option was over the air. Wasn't that Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma? I still use KEXP for more current/alternative music in podcasts. They used to stream 16/44, and I never had the bandwidth back then to use it. I don't know if they still do. I guess I'll check.

We have WBGO from Newark for Jazz here, but in Brooklyn it is already getting distant. I just haven't been into streaming radio, but Spotify at least lets you pick. Pandora just gets boring, playing the same songs over and over and over again.

zac - yup, PLU - they now have a series of local terrestrial repeaters, on stream at KPLU.org, and the mobile app.

Just live the mix of "newsers" and announcers - I couldn't possibly care less about sports, but Art makes it intersesting, and how many stations have a professor of atmospheric science as " the weather guy":D

Would this design work for a pair of FE126e scaled up? My daughter took a look at the Lance that I'm building and wants them instead of the foam core that I built around the FE126, using a lot of guesswork. They sound pretty good, but are larger, and large isn't good in a dorm room. I could trade the Lance for something larger for myself if the design would work.

The alternative would be to just rebuild the foam core design out of plywood and give them to her twin sister, the music major (piano). She would use them a lot.

As-is, and from the factory data this type of load (I'm not a fan of scaling designs since it ignores differing driver requirements) it wouldn't be ideal since the 126E & it's En successor are technically horn drivers inasmuch as they have a rising HF response that needs a horn to balance it out. However, it also depends on the amplifier (high output impedance will help) or if some series R is acceptable (likewise). ? In which case I could do a one-off.

I'm astounded. I have one of my FF85/Lance playing right now, the other I just glued the last piece and it is drying. I wasn't expecting much but this little thing really sounds good. More bass than I expected, highs are beautiful.

I'm playing this through my main setup, and I won't have a tube amp to supply these, nor will I have my Rega/Ortofon Q-Blue as a source in my office where these will go. I'll report back when I hear more. Maybe I'll stay awake to put the other one together.

With two of them playing it got even better. They aren't going to replace my big 2 ways, nor my Frugal Horns, but for the size they are really nice.

I can hear people in my office asking "hey, can you make me a pair?" and the answer would be NO. I would have to charge too much for my time to make it worthwhile.

Why aren't these recommended more to the people that ask for small, single driver based speakers?

Last edited:
And now, 4 months later, my office is once again speakerless. My daughter wanted a small setup for her dorm room, much like I made her twin sister last year, so I brought them home and gave them to her. I was using an SMSL SA-60 TPA3116 amp to power them and she has that too now.

I already have another pair of Fostex FF-85WK drivers to build with, and I just realized from looking at the pics that I need wool stuffing. I had that left over from my Frugal Horns, but now I need more. I'm going to use better plywood too this time, the oak plywood from Lowes is pretty crappy. Baltic Birch seems to be the way to go, except that a 5x5 sheet is enough for 4 pairs.