BLH/TL Build for Dayton RS100-4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Time for a cutsheet. I apologize for any errors but I think it is accurate. I'm starting mine this weekend! Only 15 pieces per side. It will be a really quick build and should be fun! The wood is 4'x8' 3/4" Cabinet Birch. Enjoy!

Tom

11353368636_9cdb3a30a2_o.jpg

Last edited:
Right. Blue Dow (even when it's pink). One who uses 1/4 foam core for speaker cabinets suggests that 1" beadboard + 5mm plywood is not stiff enough? ;)

I started out using 3/4" MDF + 1/4" cement board. Reasonably stiff, quite dead. For most of my builds now, I am using 12mm BB with longitudinal stiffeners. Given power under 30w and SPL under 100dB, I find this stiff enough. I just build a pair of subs - 400w, 112dB. For those I used 24mm BB with braces.

I am not sure 1" beadboard + 5mm ply wouldn't be stiff enough. I need to try it to make any real comment. Perhaps 5mm ply + 1/2" beadboard + 5mm ply might be better.

Bob

Last edited:
Managed to get the wood cut this weekend and started the assembly last night. I'm going to finish assembly today and hopefully get the cutout routed. As I am going to recess the driver, the Jasper jig will come in awfully handy. I've designed a TL sub that should work well with my eminence 10" driver. One per side but with how low these speakers will potentially go, I may build a single sub to start with anyway.

Tom

11402377784_a3dbce51f3_o.jpg
11402361255_fa0ae43c02_o.jpg
11402347936_74f6a6de5a_o.jpg
11402462533_b442084887_o.jpg

Nope, it doesn't allow right clicking so I was super frustrated and tried copying the address but as you saw it was fubar.

I finished the speakers. I need to play with damping but I don't believe I was ready for what I heard. No baffle step issues I can hear. No forward peaks like the paper drivers, just smooth sound down to what sounds like around 60 Hz, maybe lower. I am astounded. My understanding of the intricacies are finally advancing to the point where I can decide what I want in an enclosure and then design it. I wish there was more power handling. One of the things I enjoy immensely is listening to live jazz in a jazz club. The DB level of that is quite high and hard to reproduce in my listening room. Granted, what I am achieving as far as volume, is quite high. I am working to get this sub design sorted so that i can build that to go with these wonderful speakers. Now I just wish that I had others to build these to work out the damping etc. I am also interested in playing with a dual driver setup in these. I am going to sim it this weekend and see if it looks like a possibility.

Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.