New 12" Full-Range: Fane 12-250TC

Seems I made some error during editing, so the stress test part was not there!
Had to delete and reupload *again*...
Here's the video including stress test, you can hear clearly that the lowest of lows are just not there. Still think it's quite impressive for a single driver, can hear the mic distorting from the bass when I turn it up a bit.

YouTube

Ported box seems to be out of question. As far as I know, mltqwt should work better with high qts drivers.
220 litres is not that bad actually..if it works well. Heck, I have seen huge dual tqwt's and rear loaded horns having single 6 inch driver!

Correct, any form of [ML] TL.

Note the 223 L cab is an untapered vented pipe [MLTL] with a modestly prominent mid-bass/~38 Hz F3 once damped whereas a [ML]TQWT is tapered, but can be reduced to ~145 L as an inverse tapered TQWT [basically a 'blending'/'shaping' of a vented box with a large long vent alignment] with near enough the same mid-bass response, though WRT cab size [Vb], less is always less, so has a steeper roll off with a ~48 Hz F3.

GM

Attachments

• 12-250TC_TQWT.txt
    1 KB · Views: 112
Finished some 78L sealed cabs today for my set of 12-250-TCs. At the moment, they are just bare ply; I'll veneer them further down the line:
SO0LUx1.jpg

They sound great.
These Fanes really are super full-rangers.

Hello. that is a really nice setup, and seems easy enough for me to be able to build it.

Do you have pics from the inside of the cabinet?Does it have some reenforcement inside?

Thank you

Hello. that is a really nice setup, and seems easy enough for me to be able to build it.

Do you have pics from the inside of the cabinet?Does it have some reenforcement inside?

Thank you

Nuno, read back through this thread and you will find all the details from the horses mouth (sorry). In addition, i made a quick model in sketchup as the project is in my future to do list, based on Steve Cresswells stated dimensions. 3/4" (18mm) plywood. Im more bracing wont hurt as long as it is well holey.

Attachments

• creswell 78L sealed box dim.png
    creswell 78L sealed box dim.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 576
Nuno, read back through this thread and you will find all the details from the horses mouth (sorry). In addition, i made a quick model in sketchup as the project is in my future to do list, based on Steve Cresswells stated dimensions. 3/4" (18mm) plywood. Im more bracing wont hurt as long as it is well holey.

Thank you so much.

I have read, but maybe i miss the inside bracket .
thank you for the measurements, but at 432mm wide front panel, is wide for the place i have to put the speaker.
do you think is possible to make a little narrow and taller? and keep the 78~80L capacity?

Yes, MDF works too. Just be careful with impacts and dropping a corner. It will break AN’s shatter. Whereas ply is resilient.

If you do MDF rounding over the edges and corners will make it much more resilient to nicks and dings on the edges.

ok, many thanks .thank you. MDF will be, but i will try other " home depot " in other city for plywood 18mm to see if they have. is advertised in ther website , so i will check there during the weekend .

Thank you

There's a long thread about the evolution of Steve's project here;

Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker. - Page 3 - audio-talk

Steve is a regular on the Audio-Talk forum and will, I'm sure, respond to any questions you might have.

Incidentally, Steve's son is using the 15inch version of these drivers...

Good day.
I made a template of the cabinet and as I suspected is big for the space available.

Is possible to build it narrow and taller and keep the 75-78L inside volume?

The floor standing speaker in the near the wall is to remove.

Any thoughts?:confused:

Attachments

• P_20200117_211209.jpg
    P_20200117_211209.jpg
    907.3 KB · Views: 755
Good day.
I made a template of the cabinet and as I suspected is big for the space available.

Is possible to build it narrow and taller and keep the 75-78L inside volume?

The floor standing speaker in the near the wall is to remove.

Any thoughts?:confused:

Off course you can, i did build a speaker for a client for the same driver, it's a sealed mass damped cabinet with 12mm for the top and sides and 18mm ply for the front and back an a whole bracing frame build in and it was 40x80x30cm, with more or less that volume.

I'm now building a sub that use more or less the same box size, all in 18mm ply for a scanspeak 26w/8534G00 sealed sub (that is a 10" driver), the exact measure are 40cm wide, 836cm high and 30cm deep. These picks are of one of the 2 i'm building before sanding (just assambled from plywood). It also uses the frame i'm more and more using in speakers to brace it, because it works very well, and can be build from remains of plywood from this and other builds (cheaper than a full plate with holes drilled in).

Attachments

• 20200119-DSC_0016-ie.jpg
    20200119-DSC_0016-ie.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 759
  • 20200119-DSC_0017ie.jpg
    20200119-DSC_0017ie.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 711
Last edited:
Off course you can, i did build a speaker for a client for the same driver, it's a sealed mass damped cabinet with 12mm for the top and sides and 18mm ply for the front and back an a whole bracing frame build in and it was 40x80x30cm, with more or less that volume.

I'm now building a sub that use more or less the same box size, all in 18mm ply for a scanspeak 26w/8534G00 sealed sub (that is a 10" driver), the exact measure are 40cm wide, 836cm high and 30cm deep. These picks are of one of the 2 i'm building before sanding (just assambled from plywood). It also uses the frame i'm more and more using in speakers to brace it, because it works very well, and can be build from remains of plywood from this and other builds (cheaper than a full plate with holes drilled in).

wow, they look very nice. the measurement are exterior?

Here is my 12-250tc fullrange build: a couple of desktop speakers for the home-office about 50l ported. I like the live and big sound in them but agree that what many says the 1-4kHz needs a notch.They are very similar sounding to last years 15" projects. Will let them play in before doing anything drastically with filters, I like the efficiency.

Attachments

• IMG_0076 edit.JPG
    IMG_0076 edit.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_0070 edit.JPG
    IMG_0070 edit.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 1,126