New 12" Full-Range: Fane 12-250TC

hi Bigun - - like them both for different reasons and would depend upon how each were loaded. The Fane will of course move more air and has an overall likable and wide range character - it has the highs missing from 12LTA - L.Cao is a small driver but a bit larger Sd than an Alpair12 - with beautiful midrange and probably smoother sounding highs than the Fane. I would guess the Fane to be a good choice all by itself for open baffle for larger rooms.

it will be good to have Norman's feedback - although there was no bass with the Fane stuffed into a Karlson12 with vent damped with bonded Dacron, I noticed it got some toe-tapping going. Don't know how it would do without the Karlson cavity and aperture. I need to make some 15" to 12 and 10" adapters for my only sturdy & handy single reflex box - RCA Fan's "V-vent"

87jTAYp.jpg
kHCnUgx.jpg

Last edited:
... L.Cao is a small driver but a bit larger Sd than an Alpair12 - with beautiful midrange and probably smoother sounding highs than the Fane.

Thanks Freddi - this is helpful.

And your comment is consistent with a comment I read from Nelson about the L Cao. My ears do appreciate smooth highs for long-time listening - I discovered from my experience with a Fostex driver that I like their 'presence' but it isn't something I can listen to for long periods.

I don't suppose you've heard the L Cao 8" in comparison with the Fane (a bit closer in Sd) ?

You also mentioned the A12 - is this a driver you have auditioned too ?

I haven't seen anybody talk about a ceramic L Cao 8 so perhaps they are no-more. Your comments on the L Cao 6.5" were with ceramic not AlNiCo ?

The A12 is an unknown to me too but I've been interested in it since hearing the A10.3 - I would have liked to see a larger driver from MA something in the 6"+ category (A12 is smaller than 6") hence my interest in what people are saying about the Fane.

hey GregB -no room to put much width down like Briggs/Quad - I've got 40 inch uprights which can be screwed to a sheet to form stable legs

a 2x3 foot baffle looks good enough- thanks for suggesting Edge:D - I'm probably not using it correctly (?) see anything
wrong with the input?

JLL70Rl.jpg

a 2x3 foot baffle looks good enough- thanks for suggesting Edge:D - I'm probably not using it correctly (?) see anything
wrong with the input?

Looks fine to me. Should be 609.6mm wide though.... ;) I guess you'll get a bit lower F3 with the uprights, as they add to effective width.

You may want to play with XLbaffle too. Works with openoffice.org free fake xl, IIRC.

hey GregB -no room to put much width down like Briggs/Quad - I've got 40 inch uprights which can be screwed to a sheet to form stable legs

wrong with the input?

JLL70Rl.jpg

I'm not certain if you want to simulate an OB here, but you have forgotten the namesake check-box if so. The response might become disappointing if you do though. ;)

"got a 2'x4' piece of plywood - without resorting to software, what's a good position for a single 12" speaker with the 4' dimension vertical? - could add a helper woofer.......... hey Norman - get your Fane yet?"

nope,order tonight hopefully.
4' vertical ? sealed ? You're a bass head, no OB for you.
That dies at 300hz, like midrange on a 3-way speaker.
Would you disconnect the woofer and listen to a 3-way? yuck.

Ear height is nice, but then you get floor bounce dip (not fun).
Mine is going on floor directly under tv (Mcgurk effect).
3ft3 sealed. 1:1.618 ratios.

Looking at 30 degrees off axis (from speaker plans.com), I'd think a notch at 2.1khz will be in order, maybe 10db for a bit of bbc dip (5db min).

Norman

Last edited: